Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We noticed this lesion on Marbles about a week ago, he doesnt seem to like us touching it, like it is painful or something....then tonight we noticed 2 more on the other side??? any Idea what this is? He is only 6 months old.
It almost looks like warts to us.

thanks
Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This is with almost no doubt, Canine Papillomavirus.
There is no reason to be alarmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chloe had that about 2 months ago. I noticed it about a week after her surgery when she got spayed. Her mouth was full with about 7 or 8 of them, one was about a pea size.
I immidiately took her to the vet (I panic very easily with health issues concerning Chloe....) that told me that I can either wait and see if it goes away on its own, or get them off with surgery. I decided to wait, and also consulted with 2 other vets that I know, and a guy from the neighborhood that his dog had it and they all told me not to even bother with surgery, it will go away on its own.
After about 2 weeks it cleared... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG thank you so much for responding to us...we were totally freaked out too.

The funny thing is we are both ER docs and we both said it looks like HPV...Human Papilloma Virus..and it is an STD and a huge deal in the vaccination against cervical cancer in humans right now...but we just said "no way" a dog could get it...let alone a 6 month old puppy!!

Never thought there was a canine version of this..and it is Oral? I think this makes me feel better, but now we found even MORE bigger lesions on the gums...it is horrible..they are so big, bigger than the one in the pic too, and we just noticed them.

He is to get neutered in a few days..will this be bad, maybe we should wait? Im not sure what to do about it...I guess Ron will take him to the vet tomorrow to make sure.

Thanks again..I feel better

Manda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah, I didn't want to say anything about the fact you are an ER doctor (didn't know Ron was too...). I figured that you will figure it out. It is different than the HPV though. It is oral (at first and almost always), but just make sure he is not excessively licking his private parts (you can't prevent that I know, Chloe licked hers too.... nothing happened) because my vet said that there is a chance (small) that the warts will turn up aound there too....
I think that's rare, since the other 2 vets I talked too said that they never had a case where it spread.
The good thing here is that unless it bothers the dog to the poing where he can't eat from having a mouth full of warts, they usually advise against any surgical treatment.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
EWWW! That looks like a "cold-sore" from hell! We have "been owned" by beags (& a few mix-breeds") since the late 1920's & have never seen such a thing on them! I will now avoid taking my "boy's" to the new dog park that has been proposed in the Spokane valley! Goober is still a very healthy & happy beag despite being nearly 16 yrs old...& I'm not going to expose him to any "strange dogs"! He & Homer-the-Huge are content to play with my neighbours 3 doxies & Zima the elderly mix breed hound! :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
NR, although its not impossible, but usually very rare for older dogs to catch it as their immune system is more stable than a puppy's.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
definitely canine papillomavirus. My lab had it last year. It is not painful and just has to run its course and they eventually dry up and fall off. Hopefully it is just a mild case. My vet showed me some picture where the warts covered the entire mouth and tongue /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Hang in there Marbles !! it will be gone soon .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts