Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suzy Q has really long hairs between her toes, so long that you can cover one little pad with it! So lately I have been trimming it because burrs are constantly getting in there and she can't get them out. Since I have started she can walk through the backyard and pull them out by herself. Before I would find her in the middle of the yard with one paw up looking at me with BIG SAD beagle eyes as if asking "will you hurry up and help me!?" Anyway, is there a reason that the hairs are so long? I feel like they are there for a reason, but what?
My first beagle didnt have hair THAT long, I would trim it, but nothing like suzys, is she just wierd? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
From what I can tell you there are some that claim the hair between the toes keeps the body temperature, and some will say the opposite. Basically, it catches dirt, snow (that turns to snow balls) and other stuff - and if you feel it helps to keep it trimmed, just trim it. I would get a groomer to do it, or use an electric trimmer to not hurt the skin accidentally.

What ever keeps Suzy Q happy... :hyper:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed my Josie's pad hair would get longer in the winter, so I figure it helps keep her feet warmer in the snow and for better traction on the ice... But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am sorry I have no idea, but I do lotion the Twins pad every night....cause since Lillie has been in heat we can't walk them and get those pads (or even toenails) worn smooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts