Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days our two girls have dug more holes in the back yard than the last year combined! Some are not just holes but HOLES. Bel was shoulder deep in one.

Just a weird seasonal release of emotion? They have never dug like this before.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Do you have mice in the yard? Maybe it's the season. Caesar becomes like a dog possessed when he's digging his "trenches". And not just in the yard, but out on walks too. Especially out on walks. :rolleyes: He won't budge from the hole and protests loudly when I have to pick him up to move on. We've sat for 15 minutes straight watching him dig these holes. He does lot's of grunting and snorting too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...don't know. Don't think it's mice. Worms maybe?? We just had a week of rain after 5-6 with none too. All the holes seem to be within 4 feet of our Pecan trees. Maybe digging up hidden squirrel nuts???

·
Registered
991 Posts
That sounds good to me! When we had HRH Queen Fleagle, of the amazing nose beagle clan, she would saunter out in the backyard at this time of year when the squirrels were hiding goodies. The neighbors down the street alway had nut out but for some reason the squirrels would bury their goodies in a yard with 3 dogs. Go figure. Anyway Queen Fleagle would be trotting along and suddenly come to a stop and start digging. Up would come a peanut, which she would promptly shell and then eat. This would go on for several peanuts and in she would come. That dog had a nose that should have been the eighth wonder of the world. I really loved her and really miss her. :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Kathleen, I hear you. We had a dog with a nose like that and, surprisingly, she wasn't a beagle but a viszla mix. Ruby's sense of smell was amazing. What a dog! She's been at the Bridge for many years, but we still talk about things she did. :angel: We don't know which was greater, her sense of smell or her intelligence. :conf6:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I noticed a huge hole in the raised bed this evening. Whatever you have in your yard they have migrated over here to.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh dear, not again! The chewing off sprinkling head is enough for me to deal with. Not HOLES again pleaseeeeee! Moon craters rest for now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts