Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am looking for ideas of games to play with Misty. She doesn't fetch much (3 times bringing what I throw back and she is done), she does play tug-of-war and keep-away but only for maybe 10 minutes at a time. My mistake with her is that we ALWAYS go on walks and don't play many games, so that is what she expects. And she rarely plays by herself, instead wants me or my husband to play with her. Her idea of "playing by herself" is to lay on the couch with us and nibble on her blanket for an hour or so. She is a champion nibbler! :hyper:

Our routine for her whole life has been we walk in the afternoons for 30 - 60 minutes on the days I work and 1 to 3 hours on the days I don't work and then in the evenings after dinner we "play" or I do training exercises (reminding her of what she knows and reinforcing her real training, nothing new) for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, I am out of allotted training treats (her weight problem), or she is out of toys to play with and has lost interest.

So, I need ideas for games to play with her which MAY keep her attention longer than 5 minutes. <sigh> And do you all have any ideas on how to teach her to play by herself?

Thanks!
~Susan

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've never taught a dog to play by themselves other than chewing on toys. We play a lot of tug and sometimes chase too (Xerxes can be hyper!).

One thing we got with the puppy is a puzzle toy. With Misty trying to lose weight you might need to allocate some kibble or something to it, but we use pieces of kibble in ours. This is the one we have: https://www.amazon.ca/Dispensing-Exercise-Nina-Ottosson-Composite/dp/B071LMTB28?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

Xerxes is terrible at it (go figure) - he lifts the blocks up and runs away to chew on them, sigh - but Neb is amazing at it and loves it!

·
Super Moderator
5,010 Posts
I do "kibble search" with them outside and they love it. I toss a handful of kibble into the yard and tell them to "seek"

On rainy days we do "the cup game". I use tiny Dixie cups and hide them throughout the house with a bit of kibble under each one and tell them to seek. It's so cute to watch them try to flip the cups.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You can also try one of those kitty poles and dangle the toy and pull away so the dog tries to catch the toy. Dollar store has them or make one. They play and get tired too...lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Buddy has never been one to play fetch. He's ten years old and I can honestly say that he has only chased a ball maybe a dozen times. Each of those times he chased it maybe three times before he stopped. However he will chase dogs that are chasing a ball. It is quite funny. When the ball is thrown he will chase the other dogs a bout 20 feet and then stop. When the dogs return past him he'll chase after them. But not the ball.

For a simple puzzle I will stick a treat to the bottom of his bowl with a dab of butter and tip it upside down. He will bat it around the kitchen until he gets it to flip over. Simple easy entertainment for both him and I.

The other one is to toss a small treat down the basement stairs. After he finds it and gets back up toss another one down.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Funny, i just realized I call Cassie's stuffed toys "Buddy"... i tell her go get your "Buddy"....she'll give it a flip and that's it. She's done with toys too. She would rather be outside sniffing the grass.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Beagles like to walk and sniff so you should be stimulating her enough with your walks. My Autumn is picky about toys but likes some bones. Do you have a yard? Time sniffing in the yard helps as well. Did I read that correctly that you walk for 3 hours? Wow! That is impressive but maybe too much for a dog on a regular basis. You have gotten good advice from others. Hopefully you can find something she likes.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think walking three hours is fine - dogs should be okay with this - mind you, as Misty's overweight, I'd build her up to that slowly. My first dog walked 10k/day and ran 5-15k/day on weekdays, weekends were more (WHERE I FOUND THE TIME!!!!!). I built him up to that of course.

I think incorporating some training into walks is a good idea, though it's not playing, it makes the walks more enriching mentally, which is really what toys are for after all (I think).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I know I will get good answers to my questions on here. :)

As for the walks, I think I need to carlify what I said. Most of what we do is 1 hour or 1.5 miles at a time. The 3 hour ones are usually just once a week during the winter but we will do longer ones as the weather gets warmer until summer, when she gets too hot. And these are not power walks with her on the leash all the time. She is off-leash mostly and therefore can run and sniff as she pleases. She is a hunting dog breed and therefore should be more active than she is currently.

I will try some of the suggestions you all gave me and see how it goes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I`ve found a nice game on the web. I`m going to try it with my Beagle soon

"In this game, instead of following a trail of rabbit droppings, your beagle gets to go on a treasure hunt using his nose to find his kibble. You can play this game inside the home or out in the yard as long as it's safely fenced. You'll find feeding from a bowl useless once your dog discovers this mentally stimulating game. Here's how to teach it:

Keep your beagle out of sight in another room so he can't see you.
Make a trail with his kibble or hide his kibble in hard-to-find spots such as under rugs, behind table legs or in corners.
Release your hound and watch him go on his kibble hunting spree."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts