Our Beagle World Forums banner

What does your beagle weigh?

5K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  PFR 
#1 ·
I know we had talked about this before but I figure an update could be fun for comparison.

Spencer is a 17 inch beagle and as of this morning, he weighs 26.5 lbs. He was up to 30.5 lbs but to me he was over weight so I have been strict on the food and treats and have managed to get him back to his ideal weight.

Sydney is a 13 inch beagle and as of this morning, she weighs 21 lbs. She was up to 22.5 lbs but was also over weight. I think for her, she should be around 18 or 19 lbs to be ideal.

How big are your dogs and what do they weigh?

#5 ·
Jersey is about 17 in at the shoulder (she's a tall girl!) and weighed 38 lbs. last time we went to the vet. I don't think she's overweight by any means but I do think she could stand to lose a couple of pounds. I've even bought some weight control food to mix with her regular food to reduce her caloric intake.

Rio is gorgeous!

#8 ·
Do you usually measure from their shoulder down to their paws and not their behind down? Last I measured Charlie was from behind down to his legs and he was 15", but he seems taller than that now, I'll measure him again, which he does not like me to do.

#11 ·
Maggie is 13inches and 20.6 pounds (at the vet last Friday). She and Cal have both put on weight recently; we're ALL on a snack-reduction-exercise-increased program

(thank you for NOT asking me to post my most recent height/weight at MY doctor's office :freak: )

#12 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Rio Girl:
Thank you for the kind words Denise. She is gorgeous isn't she? Now you can see why I make such a big deal with her. I'm nuts about this beauty and don't want her to be anywhere but with me for life!
I don't blame you. Beagles have a way of doing that to us, don't they? :heart:

~Denise

#13 ·
Our girls are about 13" beagles and weigh about 28 lbs (13kg's). Sally is a little taller and thinner, whereas Leia is shorter and wider.

You can still see their ribs when they sit certain ways, but still have their waist when standing. I was told this was a healthy weight if they still have a waist definition and you can feel their ribs, but not see them.

(... Erin)

#14 ·
Bailey is a tall one - 17 inches and she weighs 29 pounds. She is tall and lean.

Ginger is much smaller - 13 inches and weighs 21. She is short and athletic looking. You can really see the muscle outlines in her legs.

My last Beagle, Casey (who passed away in January 2006 - she was 13 years old) was a 13 inch and weighed 30 pounds! She was overweight needless to say - but on a 13 inch, even 1 pound overweight looks like a huge amount because they are so low to the ground. So, for all you 13 inch owners, I would say really watch the food intake! I'm sure everyone on this Board will agree that Beagles LOVE to eat !! This becomes a problem in the later years.

#16 ·
We have one 13" and 2 15" and they all weigh about 30lbs. Our vet says as long as you can see a waist and feel ribs its ok. Boomer (13") needs to lose a couple pounds.

Yes, Rhoda, you measure from the shoulder to the floor, just like a horse.

#20 ·
Ok, my male beagle is overweight, I know it, we are working on it w/exercise and reduced calorie diet. I'm almost embaressed to say this but he is 15" and weighs 39 lbs! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I want to see him get down to 30!

My female beagle is 13" and weighs about 25 lbs. She could probably lose a couple pounds too but she looks good! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

#21 ·
Rio and Snoopy are beautiful dogs - Hello Puppies !!

Molly is a 15" beagle and her last vet vist weighed her in at 32lbs our vet suggested she be at 25-27lbs.

That is mostly Mom's fault - I can't resist her big brown eyes as they look up at me for a treat :heart:

#26 ·
Well, so far, unless I missed someone, the Crookster is the champ! 46.3 lbs. Maybe a little overweight, but he is so solidly built and strong as the proverbial ox! Not sure about height though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.