Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all of the loose fur on your dog stands up on end?
I have never seen this before until we were at the park the other day & georgia went to meet another much bigger dog wow it was a sight to see she was barking a little but not to much usualy she is very shy with her tail between her legs well the tail thing might of happened but I was watching the fur

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
This is usually a sign of fear or if they feel intimidated and have to prove themselves to another dog/creature.

For example, there was a bear in our front yard the other morning and all three were at the window barking (more like screaming) and each one of them had their fur up!

Sometimes this happens at the dog park if they don't like another dog or feel threatened. These are the only situations I see this happen.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dogs that are aroused will often have their hair stand on end, usually the hackles, the areas over the shoulders and just before the tail. This doesn't necessarily mean aggression, just that they are on high alert. Some dogs get raised hackles more easily than others; it's like some people who get red in the face very easily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Corey just had his go up. Too much soap in the dish washer and bubbles were coming out. He noticed and didn't like it. He started doing this cute little half growl that he does and his fur stood up on end. Corey was being so cute I couldn't even get mad that I had caused a mess I now had to clean up.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't remember Shiloh B's hair going up but Shasta B. does a lot - couldn't remember tho what caused ot before but then last nite it happened again - I love seeing it, it looks pretty. Last nite the Beaglebratz were out in the backyard - me in the kitchen when all of a sudden they went on high alert - very loud barking and sort of focused if you know what I mean. By the time I got out, they had stopped the noise but I noticed Shasta B's hair up - just a 1 inch ridge along her spine. Not sure why but I just love seeing it on my usually wimpy little girl - I will try to pay more attention and see if Shiloh B does it - he's the one I would expect to do it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Happens to Rocky all the time! Usually when he's meeting some new dog or barking at people on the sidewalk or the squirrels in the yard...so cute! It's like a cat puffing itself up...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shelby's just started doing it this last weekend while she was trying to play with my mom's shih tzu. It totally reminds me of a cat but it's just Shelbs being fierce!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Gracie also just started to do this: a little mohawk on her back last night (her and our cat were not playing nice) and about a week ago a big dog barked and she had one little ring of hair around her tail that stood up (really wish I would have had a camera for that one)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is normal for all dogs. High alert, fear, danger call it what you wish,but its all the same. Watch for it, cause sometimes itmay get your hound in trouble. When one of my 3 get his fur up, we get ready for an attack on the other hound, we learnt how to deal with it but keep an eye out.

Dario

1 - 10 of 10 Posts