Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new on here and just wanted some oppinions on this 8mth old bitch,good stamp/type do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much really all i know is that she broke her front leg and it had to have a pin in it,i'm looking to rehome her.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
So, is she your dog that you are looking for a new home for her or are you planning to bring her into your home? I think she's beautiful!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of taking her in,i have a JRT and a manchster terrier,i have my own dog walking company and i work part time at a vets,i have 2 horses i take the dogs out with everyday so i think i could offer her a nice home,i want to eventually breed beagles in the future,i am experienced at breeding and hand rearing but new to this breed conformation wise etc,she seems a sweetie and is called Bella but we'll change it to Lola.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Sounds like you two are a match made in heaven and she's be a great addition to your "pack" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Are you hoping to breed her? Is that why you are asking? I guess my concern when I hear that people want to breed dogs is that they are not going to take the proper steps and do it for the right reasons. Too many people are just in it for the money these days and there are so many beagles in shelters and rescues that it makes me sad.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
She's beautiful...but she looks skinny to me. Or maybe I'm just used to my fat boy, Henry.

Breed her? Do you know her pedigree or does she have papers? Aren't those important for breeding? (I've never bred a dog).

Unless her pedigree/lineage is known, please reconsider breeding her. Like Spencer's Mum said, there are alot of homeless beagles looking for homes.

Welcome to BW!

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Denise, she has the same built as my Chloe. I actually tried getting her to put on a lb or two more.... doesn't work. she is stable on her weight now which is 16lb.

Skinny - yes! but very light and easy to carry around when I try to leave a place and she won't budge! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
She actually looks healthy to me, that is what Spencer looks like and the vet says that he is the perfect size for a beagle. I think that the majority of beagles are over weight (as is Sydney) and that is why the proper sized ones look skinny.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She looks good to me. I'm no professional though. She looks slim but not skinny. You can see the muscle in her upper legs and chest area. She's a very pretty girl. As for the breeding...there are just so many dogs in shelters and rescues that need good homes.

·
Registered
865 Posts
She is such a cutie! I take it from your post that you are wanting to breed beagles in the future? Is this beagle a "get to know the breed" pet or are you wanting to breed her? Are you also getting into showing?

There are a lot of beagle breeders and competition for showing. I think you are smart to get to know the breed before breeding. It would be great if you could befriend a breeder/handler that could really show you what type of dogs should be bred. Beagles are certainly one of the "over bred" breeds and after Uno's win it is certain to get worse!

It sounds like you have a wonderful home for her!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
She's very pretty, does she have pedigree papers? I have a fairly limited knowledge on conformation but she's not a type that I would put in a show ring. Without main registered AKC pedigree papers you will not be able to enter her in any shows.

Whilst conformation is only one of many factors to consider before breeding, I like to buy from breeders who have lines and dogs that are proven in the show ring - because it means they have good structure, type and generally conform well to the breed standard and are therefore a good example of the breed.

I would definitely not breed a rescue dog, or any other dog of unknown heritage (which is what a dog with no papers is). If you want to consider breeding, I would get a AKC registered breeder to mentor you and teach you about the ins and outs of the breed.

If you need to come onto an internet forum to learn about conformation and type you obviously don't know enough about the breed to breed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif So I would get your bitch desexed and if you are serious, consult those who know the breed well, find lines that you like and buy a foundation bitch from a breeder with these lines.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have to say I agree with Smeagle. Although I'm sure you mean well if you have to come here to ask whether or not we think she is good enough to breed from then you shouldn't be breeding Beagles at all.

Personally she doesn't look like a Beagle that I would breed from but then I'm from the UK and English Beagles have a very different look.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks Jennifer /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I was also going to add, I am from Australia and our beagles tend to come from English lines so you would never see a beagle of the American hunting type in our show rings.

However, the issues I see in the OP's beagle, seem to be that her legs are too long, the AKC breed standard says the back should be short, muscular and strong. It is a fault for the hind legs to lack a muscular look, and it is also a fault to have a long back or narrow hips. From the picture (it is hard to tell without seeing the dog in a proper stack) it looks like the bitch is lacking a deep enough chest.

If you look at Uno our favourite beagle, you will see how he is a nice solid little dog with good muscle definition and a nice deep chest. His legs are nice and thick and when he stands his hocks are straight and have good angulation. Whilst it is hard for me to look past the Australian beagle standard (one of the biggest differences in our dogs is the muzzle and head on the dog, the American beagles have a longer thinner face) I wouldn't think the beagle we're looking at here is of a particularly good standard. There are a lot of other issues I would want to look at too before I could really make a judgement, like the lines the bitch has come from and what sort of progeny and type is produced.

For something a bit different, this boy is an Australian Champion here. What a difference in type between American and Australia/English beagles! Isn't it interesting?

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=19685

And a bitch that has similar lines to my female, Daisy:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=12309

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif BB weighs more than Chloe!
Abby weighs about twice a much, thought she is looking more "lean" now that we're back to taking her on walks 2/3 times a day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif .
Originally Posted By: Chloe's Mommyshe is stable on her weight now which is 16lb.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rosa weighs twice as much as Chloe too. I sometimes wish she only weighed 16 pounds when I have to pick her up every day to put her in the back of the car.

Is Chloe quite short both in height and back length? If Rosa was only 16 pounds she would be emaciated but Chloe looks great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
she is lovely! sounds like your home would be a great home for a beagle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts