Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what kind of treats you use for training sessions? Our very knowledgeable Pet Valu owner (and dog breeder) recommended Benny Bully's freeze dried liver treats and although Rocky loves them (and they are easy to break little bits off), they seem to give him the runs.

I really want to do the training thing correctly and Rocky has been doing very well, and he seems to remember from one day to the next. I used the Benny's today and Rocky was amazing! Of course, tonight he had diarrhea
...ick!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I feed raw, but I'm not insane about it, so I've always used commercial treats.

Dog treats in general are expensive, I didn't feel like making my own, and I figured out that anything <span style="font-weight: bold">different</span> from what they usually eat is exciting for them. I've settled on these. For whatever reason, they are like CRACK to my dogs. They will do ANYTHING for them, despite the fact that they are pretty much 1000% crap, and I feel like I'm feeding Play Dough to them
They are available at most grocers, Petco, PetSmart, Sam's, and Walmart.

They make different varieties, so if you want to try them, make sure you get the little chunks shown, not the ones shaped like little worms. Other times I've simply bought a random bag of dog food. Again, anything they don't normally get seems like a treat to them. (but those Purina things...like I said...<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Doggie Crack!</span></span>)

For the diarrhea problem, give him a tablespoon or two of plain canned pumpkin (no sugar added) with his regular meal(s). Works wonders.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know a lot of people who post here use plain ol' Cheerios. I go with Nutro treats, usually giving 2-3 treats per day. I also use baby carrots. My dogs go insane over and will do anything for baby carrots

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are lots of things you can use! I often boil chicken or beef steak and chop them into tiny pieces to use as training treats. You can use little pieces of cheese or sausage.

I also use these treats which are 100% natural dried treats, I have been using the fish ones lately as they are nice and smelly which beagles love:

http://happypawstreats.com.au/home.cfm

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We used to use pieces of cheese or ham. Now we use special treats that are low calorie, because we are no longer trying to really train them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We used several different things for training. Anything different from normal worked for Jersey. When we were in obedience class we used these little pork chop shaped treats. They sold them at PetSmart. Then the whole pet food fiasco hit and I started getting more conscience about what I was giving Jersey. For a while I was giving her pieces of home cooked chicken for training treats. I also gave her Cheerios and home made treats. Recently we started using a product called Zuke's Mini Naturals ( Zuke's. Jersey goes crazy for them. I have to put the bag in the treat jar and put the jar up on the top of a shelf to keep her from begging sometimes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I often use Cheerios - or thin slices of hot dogs. The cheerios are low cal - and it's not really the size of the treat that is important to most dogs, but the idea of the treat. I have 11 beagles, so have to go with someething less expensive than dog biscuits, which are too high calorie, and too many will give the kids the poops. I buy the big bags of generic Cheerios - or get hot dogs when they're on sale, and slice up a package to keep handy. I'm not really training any of mine now - but they still get treats, and the hot dogs work well. As Jen said, anything different is a treat to them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I really like the idea of Cheerios...it's something I can get cheap at the bulk food store too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts