Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new to the beagle world and know nothing about nutrition for a small dog I thought I would ask.

I currently feed my danes ProPlan Shredded Beef Blend and they do exceptionally well on it. I fed RAW for years, but for the past few months due to my supplier closing up due to the economy it has been tough. I have been feeding the beagle ProPlan's puppy formula but he hates it and wants the danes food. I am hoping to learn about beagle nutrition as I go along.

Can anybody recommend a good puppy food to me? Danes don't eat puppy food so I am clueless!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I have to feed him a puppy food or will adult food be ok? I used to feed Evo years ago before I switched to RAW. I feel so stupid because I know nothing about beagles. LOL!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is fed regular Innova Small Bites. Great food. I've used it with Jersey since I got her and my Amber was on it before. I can't recommend it enough.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: TwoLuDo I have to feed him a puppy food or will adult food be ok? I used to feed Evo years ago before I switched to RAW. I feel so stupid because I know nothing about beagles. LOL!
I used the puppy formula with Jersey. Evo doesn't have a puppy formula though. I'm pretty sure it's an all life stages food. You can check out their site at www.naturapet.com .

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feed my beagle raw and he is very health and thrives on it.

If you can find another supplier, I think it is a good way to go for beagles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: *silleb*I feed my beagle raw and he is very health and thrives on it.

If you can find another supplier, I think it is a good way to go for beagles.
I agree that RAW is the way to go! I am working on joining a co-op so hopefully they will all be back on RAW soon! I hate dog food poo! LOL!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check out this site - www.dogfoodanalysis.com - which reviews just about all of the foods out there. The recommendation is to feed a food with 4 stars or higher. They give a good breakdown of how a food gets its ranking based on the ingredients.

Based on the research I did on this site, we chose Wellness Super 5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone using Orijen? I'm researching the best food for Ginger right now as she will be switching to adult food in a few months and I keep seeing Orijen popping up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We feed Rocky Innova Evo as well. Daisy is on a Prescription diet for now, but will probably get switched to the Evo soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Taste of the Wild . . Grain free diet for the most part. Wetlands & High Prairie mix, topped off with a bit of canned.
Pup looks great

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yep, Blue Buffalo here too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Still undecided!! When we got Charilie he was being fed Science Diet, we switched to Orijen and he ate it very well. Then we gradually switched him to Eukanuba which was ok, but he didnt eat it as well as he did the Orijen. We have also tried Nature's Recipe which he ate and eats readily. In case you're wondering, we do plan stick with one brand but its been somewhat confusing reading different reviews on brands and what to feed and not feed. Charlie is 5 months and we've had him for 2 months. He has not had runs or upset stomach, just gas when he eats Orijen. I want to have him on one brand, but when I read a review of a food that Im feeding, and its a bad review, should I take taht word and move on? Their are Brands that I do know to stay away from because of its history and poor ingredients, but when I see a dog food that I presumed was high quality get a poor rating what is one to do?:(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tinkerbell eats Taste of the Wild...mostly because when we got her, they were feeding her the cheapest thing they could find...the people who had her hadn't taken her in to make her a pet, but to get her out of the cold as the owners of Tinkerbell's mum and dah had them outside in the cold and snow and such and didn't really seem to be bothered by the whole litter leaving...

Our Siberian Husky does amazing on TOTW...and Tinkerbell seems to be thriving as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts