Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious - what do you guys feed your Beagle? Marley was started on Eukanuba when I got him, so I have kept him on that. His Vet recommended a few other brands. She said Euk, is not as good as it used to be and for comporable cost, I could get higher quality brands.

Any opinions, or sites that I can visit?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I feed both my beagles Natural Choice Venison Meal & Whole Brown Rice Formula.

It is a new line from Nutro and so far no complaints from the "kids"! :hi: Bella just turned a year so I figured it was a good time to adjust both to a new food. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh and when Bella was a puppy I fed her Natural Choice Small Bites Puppy Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Formula. She LOVED it. She was a picky bugger when I first got her! Strange for a beagle huh???

·
Registered
58 Posts
We feed Hunter Science Diet Lamb and Rice (small bites). I would recommend it to the extent that our vet spoke highly of it, Hunter eats it (when he "lowers" himself to eat it if we're not willing to feed him actual food), and his energy level, coat, and health are good.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I feed my two Orijen 6 fish.

My basic rule, read the ingredients. If it has any by-products or corn, stay away from it!! There are so many great brands out there now that there is really no need to feed the crappy ones. You might pay a bit more for the good stuff but you have to feed them less, you will have a healthier dog and save on vet bills.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tramp (5 1/2 mths) is on Puppy Pro-Plan by Purina - the first ingredient is chicken, not chicken meal. Both our other 2 dogs were their whole lives also (switched to regular adult at 2 yrs old). They all had / have nice shiney coats and were / are a good weight.

We switched to Iams for a bag once and Tasha's (1993-2005) coat became dull and her skin got itchy and dry. I don't think it was Iams per say, as Shandy (1992-2006) was fine with it, but it's best to stick to the same food once you settle on one that works for your dog.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When I get my beagle, I'm kinda worried about the feeding bit. I want to give them the best I can. I've heard a lot of good things about Natural Balance, but I can't find it in any stores up here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

In the past, we fed our dogs Purina Puppy Chow and then switched to Pedigree without any problems. Their vet made comments on how healthy they were.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Purina and Pedigree are actually near the bottom of the list on quality of foods. That is along with Iams, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Kibbles & Bits, and on and on.

I can give you a whole list of high quality foods if you want. With Spencer's allergies, I have had to do a lot of food research.

I will also not feed my dogs anything that was included in the pet food recall.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Choice of food to feed your pets is a very personal choice. There are many differing opinions out there about what to feed our dogs.

You will hear from people that swear by their vet's choice (usually Science Diet, Iams or Eukanuba). I personally think that vet clinics probably get kick backs from the companies. Vets, while educated in animal science, are not nutrition scientists so therefore while I will listen with respect, I still make my own choice.

You will hear from people that swear it should be all natural with no fillers or by products. Well our domesticated dogs came from wild animals originally that ate whatever they could find in the wild and they did fine. Obviously most of what they found was all natural with no by products so there could be something to that argument. Then for years, we only had the choice to choose from brands such as Purina and our dogs lived just fine off that also.

If we look at this issue from different angles it all comes down to these simple facts.

*will your dog eat what you give them?
*is your dog happy and energetic?
*is your dog a healthy weight?
*is your dog's skin and coat condition healthy?
*is your dog satisfied?

I watch the society as a whole and I see people that believe if they spend more money on something it somehow makes them a better person, or in this situation, better pet owners. The amount you spend on a dog food shouldn't be what makes your decision. If Ol' Roy does the trick for you - great! If Innova is your choice - that's great too. There are trends in our lifetimes and dog food trends are not excluded.

Medical science as well as animal nutrition science has advanced over the years, yet we still see people and animals sick with debilitating illnesses and diseases, obesity in humans and animals on the rise, and we are all still going to die some day from something. While they have found cures for some things, new diseases and challenges are presented every day. Look at the new products and medicines that have come out in recent years and how often you see Class Action Lawsuits developing from unknown problems that have arisen from them years down the line.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the amount you spend on something doesn't necessarily make it better. Companies like Purina have done research for years, just like these newer brands are doing now and I think it comes down to what you believe is best for your family and it's furry members. Take other peoples advice, talk with your vet, weigh all the factors in your own belief system, but when it comes down to it - you are ultimately the one to make the final decision.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I feed them Nature's Recipe. It has no corn, which is big factor for me because my 2 older labs have corn allergies which affects their skin. Duke gets puppy, labs get senion and Phoebe the cat gets kitty. It's always fun loading up the cart at PetSmart!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Personally, I like Innova. Amber (at the bridge) had skin allergies and this was one of the few foods she could eat without breaking out. Since it worked so well with Amber I switched Jersey over to it when I adopted her. Like Spencer's Mom, I've become hesitant about what I'll feed my dog after the recall. If they were involved in any way, I won't use them. I use Merrick's canned products to mix with Jersey's dry food.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Molly gets Purina One. She was raised with Purina Puppy Chow, she loved it, and I didn't want to switch brands when she got older so I stayed with Purina. Our other dogs love it too, they all have sensative stomachs, unlike Molly who usually has an "iron cast" one! But they all like it. And then usually once a month I cook some turkey or beef and and some veggies and pumpkin for them, I heard it helps keep them regular I guess, they love that too!

·
Registered
308 Posts
We did beneful too but the Wonder Twins liked them too much and ate it too fast and ended up throwing up all the time. We have since switched to Purnia One (I swore by that brand with my chihuahua). The Twins seem to be doing really well on this so far.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is on Canidae... it's very good and all natural ingredients. When I got her she was on Puppy chow, and I didn't like it (her stool was all over the place, and all the time). Then I switched her to Eukanuba, which she liked, but I thought I can give her something better for that price.
Then I tried Canidae, she stopped scratching all the time (maybe allergies? I didn't even thought of that, but a few days after she just stopped), and her stool is go much better, she seems to like it and everyone is happy

1 - 20 of 49 Posts