Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my fifteen-year-old beagle can’t hold her pee all night anymore, and I’m not sure what to do about it. She likes to sleep in bed with me, but it wakes me up every time she needs to go and I am not getting good rest because of it. So I’ve been leaving her on her dog bed and put several pee pads down for her, and it might be getting better, but so far she has been very slow to understand how to use them. She just pees next to them. I’ve tried the pee incentive spray thing, I’ve tried taking her out first thing in the morning on the pee pad (she just stands there for 15 min and will not pee on it!). Any ideas?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does she have any incontinence during the day or just can hold all night? If just at night, have you tried doggy diapers? I haven't, but I know people who have and did not interfere with ability to potty outside during day. I read (not sure it's true) that dogs don't like to soil their bedding area, which is why crate training works well for training puppies and why she might not want to use pee pad near her bed. Plus, lack of consistency when to use pee pad, when to be outside can be confusing for them as she looks senior. And being used to holding it, her training instinct may be not to pee on the pee pad.

I've also heard of those who litter train their dogs, would that be an option?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input. She has finally learned how to use the pee pad, but I haven’t found any pee pads thick enough for her. She pees so much it seeps through. She does not have incontinence. I have been trying the pee pad for a while, but I’m thinking of switching to just waking up every night, because it is almost just as tiring to clean up the floor every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts