Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
19,926 Posts
I am using Frontline plus. I'm fine with it (and so is Chloe, so far anyway). I put an ampule on her every 2-3 months.

I also know of Revolution, which is an excellent product that also includes in its formula heartworm prevention. You'll need to get that at the vets office or with a prescription at 1800 Petmeds. It will also have to be given once a month.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
We used to use Frontline Plus on both Summer and Murphy. It works well. But we found that Murphy has a seizure within 4 hours of application. So it only Summer getting Frontline. We haven't figured out what to use on Murphy yet.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
I have asked my vet about such things (flea, tick, and heartworm) if the Bagel and I should venture to an area where they were a potential problem. Bagel and I were thinking of a trip to Houston and heartworm was a concern. Her (my vet) advice was only cross those bridges if necessary. She effectively talked the Bagel and I out of our trip and we went exploring in Idaho, and Wyoming instead. What i understood is that there are risks with any of these preventive measures, heartworm being the worst. The Bagel and I are glad we live in a dry climate where we don't have to worry about fleas, ticks, or mosquitos.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
That was the same advice my vet gave, however, the preventative approach is far less risky than the the cure should they get infected. Like I say, our vet convinced us to vacation in a different direction. I'm sorry dogs that have rain every month so have to pay for having more green. Some Natural healthy foods like garlic may work for pest but I'm unaware of anything natural that works against heartworms.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
For those folks using Heartgard, remember that there is a generic called "Iverhart" - considerably cheaper. You will probably have to ask your vet for it (mine sells it but doesn't offer it unless asked). If he/she doesn't have it, ask if they could get you some.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Well, it seems the Sentinel isn't working. Jersey has been biting and scratching and I keep finding fleas on her. Luckily I'm only finding one at a time and it seems that once I get it she's good. I think she's picking them up at daycare. She's only gone there twice in the last two weeks. It's been the weekend after both times when I've found the fleas. I'll have to go get something different from the vet this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.