Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what brand of flea & tick protection product for dogs do you find works the best ? I've only ever had cats to deal w/so I was wondering which one works best on dogs ?

TIA /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I used Frontline on my previous beagle Molly, and it worked very well. I haven't started using anything on Maggie yet as she's only 4 months old. I plan on calling the vet this week to ask about flea/tick protection, as I know they need to be a certain age before using.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have used them all! I live in the south and fleas and ticks are a problem even when you use the prevention medication. Here's what I have heard from vets and/or experienced. Advantage is best if fleas are your biggest problem. Frontline is best if ticks are your biggest problem.

Advantix and Frontline made Toby scratch more than Advantage. Holistic type vets say that Advantage is the "safest" of the three (for what that's worth).

If you live in a warm, tropical type area like I do, you will find that you still get the occasional tick and that the prevention medication doesn't really last a whole month. Per my vet, baths do make some of it come off.

My vet cautioned us about using them right now since we have a mobile baby in the house. I have been working very hard with diet, natural sprays, caution on play areas, etc. and have had good success with it since last summer. That being said, we are on our way to the vet today to see about doing more because in the spring it is just so bad in my area.

If you live in an area that is more seasonal with fleas/ticks you can give them a break from it in those off months. While fairly safe (if you don't have small children in the house), it can be irritating to their skin and a break can be helpful during the off months.

I am certainly no expert, but I hope that helps!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am using Frontline plus. I'm fine with it (and so is Chloe, so far anyway). I put an ampule on her every 2-3 months.

I also know of Revolution, which is an excellent product that also includes in its formula heartworm prevention. You'll need to get that at the vets office or with a prescription at 1800 Petmeds. It will also have to be given once a month.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We used to use Frontline Plus on both Summer and Murphy. It works well. But we found that Murphy has a seizure within 4 hours of application. So it only Summer getting Frontline. We haven't figured out what to use on Murphy yet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have asked my vet about such things (flea, tick, and heartworm) if the Bagel and I should venture to an area where they were a potential problem. Bagel and I were thinking of a trip to Houston and heartworm was a concern. Her (my vet) advice was only cross those bridges if necessary. She effectively talked the Bagel and I out of our trip and we went exploring in Idaho, and Wyoming instead. What i understood is that there are risks with any of these preventive measures, heartworm being the worst. The Bagel and I are glad we live in a dry climate where we don't have to worry about fleas, ticks, or mosquitos.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Is there anything natural/safer for heartworm preventative? I live in such a mosquito infested area that heartworms are one of my bigger fears with the dogs. I go natural whenever we can...

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I have not come across anything that is a natural preventative for heartworms. In that case the risks of using the Inceptor far outweighs the risk of heartworm, at least in Abby's case, but I know of instances where such medication (Heartguard mostly) caused problems for the dog, so be sure to have a thorough conversation with your vet. Heartworms are one of my biggest fears as well.

We also have [very] mobile, gets into everything, baby /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That was the same advice my vet gave, however, the preventative approach is far less risky than the the cure should they get infected. Like I say, our vet convinced us to vacation in a different direction. I'm sorry dogs that have rain every month so have to pay for having more green. Some Natural healthy foods like garlic may work for pest but I'm unaware of anything natural that works against heartworms.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I use Sentinel. It's a pill that protects against fleas as well as heartworms and other worms. My vet no longer carries it though. I'm going to have to go through 1800 Pet Meds now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I use Frontline Plus and like it. I don't use it monthly, usually only 3-4 times a year as a preventitive measure (especially spring and fall).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i just got back from the vets and since ticks are so bad here this year they are recommending Frontline Plus so that is what I got ~ I wanted Revolution for the heartworm protection too since that is what i use on my cat but they said the Frontline is better for now for the ticks....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have used Heartguard for 15 years on various dogs for heartworm prevention. I've lived in Florida and now Tennessee, and I would never take my dogs off it. I'm switching to Frontline from k9 advantix since ticks are the main concern for me, because Henry and I do a lot of hiking in wooded areas.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For those folks using Heartgard, remember that there is a generic called "Iverhart" - considerably cheaper. You will probably have to ask your vet for it (mine sells it but doesn't offer it unless asked). If he/she doesn't have it, ask if they could get you some.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: What brand of flea/tick protection do you use

I give Advantage and Heartgard Plus every month to my other dog. Has worked so far. I'm going to start my beagle on it at the beginning of the month.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I will skimp on the flea/tick meds because I have my yard treated every month, however the heartworm meds are taken seriously.

I have found a good bath with an oatmeal shampoo does a very good job at knocking bugs off the boys. This was a recomendation from our vet.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I've used Frontline Plus for several years on dogs and cats and had good luck with it, against fleas and ticks. My daughter, however, lives more in a more wooded area and hasn't found Frontline Plus to be as effective keeping those countryfied ticks off her cat. I've heard K-9 Advantix is better against ticks, but it's even pricier than Frontline.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, it seems the Sentinel isn't working. Jersey has been biting and scratching and I keep finding fleas on her. Luckily I'm only finding one at a time and it seems that once I get it she's good. I think she's picking them up at daycare. She's only gone there twice in the last two weeks. It's been the weekend after both times when I've found the fleas. I'll have to go get something different from the vet this week.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We use FrontLine for the ticks, fleas and mosquitos, and advantix for the heartworms....our vet suggests using both all year, but I use the frontline only from March until our k iller freeze. Heartworm is a 12 month deal so he thinks he's getting a treat at least once a month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts