Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of talk on here lately about certain brands of food and whatnot... I thought it would be interesting to see which brand/type of food everyone here feeds their dogs.

Perhaps list/post a link to what you use and maybe a reason why you buy it?? like, it's at a convenient store, you like the brand, the nutrition value, etc etc.

Zelda is coming up on 8 months now and our vet said that she can switch to adult food before her one year mark if we wanted to. We just got a new bag of food a week or so ago, so that will last us a while, but we're thinking of switching to adult food after that/switching the brand.

Right now (and since we got her) she's been eating:
Nutro Small Bites Puppy which is rated 2 stars on the dog food analysis site and I heard that Purina has bought out Nutro and are using lesser quality ingredients. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I swear the kibble this time around is MUCH lighter in colour.

When she's done that bag, we're gonna switch her to:
Acana Grasslands which is rated 5 stars on the dog food analysis site. The pet store we shop at gave us a small sample bag of it and Zelda went NUTS. We also like where the protein is coming from (purely canadian) and how the ingredients are divided up... and there are no grains!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We've had our pups on Nutro Pro Ultra puppy and adult for their entire lives except when we tried out Innova when they stopped wanting to eat for about 3-4 months after our A/C problems this summer (they ate the Innova for about a week, then went back to turning up their nose at all food - so, so frustrating). Nutro was recommended to us by the staff of our favorite pet store, and we're kind of married to the brand at the moment since we can get a free bag of that food after so many purchases. But if Nutro in general slips in quality, I will talk to my boyfriend about switching again.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We feed our dogs Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice Formula. It scores well on the dog food analysis and it is less expensive than some of the brands purchased at the pet stores. Their coats are gorgeous (our vet always comments on how excellent their coats are), the dogs like it, and they seem to thrive on it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The Acana is made by the same company as Orijen. Our pet store started stocking it for people who liked the Orijen but thought it was getting too expensive. I rotate Maggie's food at the end of each bag. She mainly gets Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, and Wellness Core reduced fat. I bought a sample bag of the Acana to compare ingredients with the Orijen. Maggie seemed to like that one also. I try to feed her good quality grain free foods.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was feeding Royal Canin, but have switched to a Bones and Raw Food diet (BARF) so now I make all the dog food myself

There are a few reasons I changed over - I wanted to cut out grains completely from their diet and after a lot of research and talking to other dog owners who feed raw, I felt it was a more biologically appropriate food for canines.

My little dog still gets some dried food because she has allergies and can't eat much red meat, and my cat eats about half Royal Canin and half BARF mix - as she is fussy and won't really eat bones.

However Micha and Daisy are both on 100% raw and they are loving it! I also love knowing exactly what goes into their food because I make and prepare it. I thought it might be a bit tricky to get it balanced but its actually quite easy. I make up a 'BARF' mix of raw beef mince, raw grated vegies (apple, carrot, celery/cabbage, pumpkin), 4 tins of sardines and about 1 kg of natural yoghurt. I also include offal, usually diced raw chicken livers.

Then I alternate the BARF mixture with raw bones - chicken wings, necks, frames, lamb necks and flaps, beef bones, veal bones, salmon heads etc.

The change in their coat and condition is quite noticeable and I have had many comments on how much cleaner and softer their fur looks. The poo less and the poo is firmer, as grains go straight through dogs which makes them poo more. I am very happy and will always feed a raw diet for any future dogs I have!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy was on Innova Evo and Max was on Innova Puppy but the price of Innova around here skyrocketed.

Now, Daisy is on Blue Wilderness (by Blue Buffalo) and Max is on Blue Buffalo Puppy and I will switch him to the Blue Wilderness when he's old enough. It's less expensive than the Evo but still a 6 star food.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben is on a raw diet. I do not make it myself, rather I buy it in frozen blocks. All human grade meats, veg, and fruit. The brand is Mountain Dog.

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/

The store that sells it is very convenient for me - close to work and home. His food costs are about $30 a month.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feed Innova (the green bag), and the price here is up as well... but when I buy the 30 lb bag, it lasts me for 5-6 months easy! So I have nothing to complain about

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java and Lilo were on Nature's Variety Instinct, but I've been weening them onto Kirkland's Chicken Brown Rice and Vegetables the last two weeks. No real negative reason led me to switch, other than the fact that it's a 75% to 100% price difference ($60 vs. ~$25-30) and I realized that Java no longer needs a grain-free kibble. Other than the price, I was sold on Kirkland's because it scored very well (I think 108 or A+). I was very happy with NV Instinct aside from the abnormally stinky poo (but what poop ISN'T stinky? :D)

No complaints so far about Kirkland--it's larger pieces of kibble than Instinct, and it smells rather pleasant.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have Tucker on the Kirkland food. We switched to it before I knew about the scoring because my wife researched foods and found this was the best for the money. We saw the scores and it is.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly and Andy eat Iams Natural with some canned food added in. Jake eats Science Diet senior.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Canidae dry and wet

Both dogs do well on it. After some trial and error, this food has been settled on. Price is right to

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey gets Innova Small Bites in the green bag. She eats it no problems and is very healthy. The price went up a couple of dollars a bag but nothing too much. A 16 lb. bag lasts about a month (maybe 5 weeks) for us. So it's less than $30/month for her food.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another raw feeder here. I've been feeding raw for about 10 years, and switched Daisy over on her second day here. She was a bit confused with the first bowl of chicken necks, but only for a few minutes

·
Registered
75 Posts
Colby eats Iams. I was feeding him Purina dog food but he wasn't really eating eat and was more interested in the cat food which is Iams. So I switched him to Iams and he now cleans his bowl every meal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts