Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to encourage Molly not to chew on the sofa, computer wiring, kitchen chairs, coffe table legs, carpet, etc. I got some bitter apple spray. She avoids it for maybe 30 seconds while it dries and then it doesn't seem to faze her one bit. I was wondering if you use bitter spray, what type do you use? I was thinking the rosemary stuff might work better, but before I start buying every spray at Petsmart I was hoping for some advice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i use grannicks bitter apple and it has the same effect. i have also used a spray of water - on him - from a spray bottle and that worked better. i think it just surprises him and he doesn't like it. but some would say it's fear based training. i don't know if it causes him fear but it works...and he doesn't seem traumatized by it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The bitter apple spray worked for me! I use/d the same one beaglemom uses.
There is a natural (home made) spray that you can make that will deter Molly from chewing but I can't remember what it is. I'll check and let you know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought Bitter Barrier from WalMart. It's made with tea tree oil and seems to keep Charlee away from everything.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I too used the Grannick's with Jersey. It worked at first but then she acquired a taste for it and chewed anyway.
I know that my old neighbors used Cayenne pepper to keep their dog from chewing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jersey I know that my old neighbors used Cayenne pepper to keep their dog from chewing.
I was thinking that too, or even tabasco, but you can't spray that on everything, it stains...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've tried the bitter apple spray with Fin. I think it was Nature's Miracle brand. Unfortunately I think he likes the taste of it. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The PetSmart trainer had me use Right Guard deodorant spray. It worked because it's not the taste that kept Daisy away, it was the smell.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
OK, I checked, and what I got was a little water with a lot of lemon zest. Another suggetion was orange peal (lots of it) in water. One more thing is scatter a little bit of black pepper on the sofa.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'll take some of that advice. Cobi, licks his paws enough to lick the fur right off of them. We have tried at least all of the following:
Bitter apple,
cayene pepper
tabasico sauce,
vinegar and water
lemon juice and water,
lime juice and water,
alcohol and water
peroxide and water
and a spray bottle with water

Most of them last for about a week, and then we have to find something else. The vet is calling it a pacifer thing, and we have to find other things to keep him busy, (I was thinking of asking him to take the garbage out, clean the floors, do the laundry, but those don't count) There are times that the house is going to be empty and that's when he starts licking....he hates being alone...we've left the TV on for noise, but there are no shows he really likes. SOOOOOOOOo, Ideas?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have an answer for you guys:
1 very hot green pepper (the ones that grow in your garden and you can't even look at 'cause it burns
)
0.5 cup sinthetic white vinegar
Crush the pepper and vinegar in a mixer (megamix) and heat in a pan until boils. The heat transfers the hotness from the pepper to the vinegar. Cool and strain.
Use the liquid part (throw the mud) and smear it on the desired surfaces.
The vinegar doesn't get the surfaces dirty and it evaporates after a little while, so you can refresh the layer about 2-3 times a week.

If there is someplace that can tolerate oil, use vegetable oil - it stays longer.

I know, it sounds very hot and yucky, but it works and doesn't harm the pups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pure Habanero Sauce works great on stuff that won't stain. Make sure you read the ingredients label on the sauce, though--many of the Habanero sauces contain onions, which in case you didn't know, are toxic for dogs.

Roxy is still a chewer, and for some insane reason LOVES zippers (especially on pillows or dog bed covers). We put the habanero sauce on the zipper of her bed, and it worked like a charm. She would sniff it, lick it, then shake her head like she was just stung on the tongue by a bee! It doesn't harm her, but it does cause enough bad taste for her to be discouraged.

As for the bitter sprays, they didn't even faze our Beagle. It's almost as if those things enticed her to chew more. For wood or plastic furniture, mix the habanero with vaseline so it doesn't dry out. Roxy still likes to chew the corner fabric of the couch, so we have to really keep a close eye on her. We haven't been able to find anything to discourage her from that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am glad to read that other people are having the same chewing problems as I have with Bailey. He chews the zippers too....on pillows,clothes, etc. He is down to sleeping on just towels in his crate because he has chewed up 2 beds AND 2 crate pillows that I bought for him. I put an old quilt in his crate, and you guessed it...it lasted about an hour. I can only buy him rubber toys, because all the ones with squeakers in them last about 2 hours, and then I have that fiberfill stuff strewn all over the house. Bought him tennis balls cuz he loves to run and play fetch, but they lasted one day and they were torn to shreds.
He has gotten under our bed and chewed up the bottom of our boxsprings. I bought the Bitter Apple - didn't work. I bought something by Hartz - can't remember the name - and that was a big waste of money. We give him all kinds of things to chew on; he has two Kongs, Nylabones, rawhides, etc.
I am just clinging to the thought that he will outgrow this one day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts