Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eleanor suggested there might be lots of stories with my "pack" - and yes, there are! One of my all time favorite stories is about my Romeo when he was a little guy.
He liked to scratch and chew the wall in the upstairs hall by my bedroom. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of at the time - little stinker developed a taste for bitter apple and it didn't bother him at all. During "chat" on my beagle group one night, we were talking about it. One of the members suggested tobasco sauce. So the next time he started chewing on the wall, I grabbed a bottle of tobasco and sprinkled it liberally around the holes (and I'm talking about two DINNER PLATE SIZED HOLES IN THE WALL) - Romeo walked to the first hole - "sniff sniff sniff", walked to the second hole, "sniff sniff sniff" - turned and walked back to the first hole, hiked his leg and PEED ON IT. Then turned to me with this "There, that's what I think of THAT" look on his face and walked away. However he never chewed the wall again! :rotatesmiley2: What are YOUR favorite stories about your beagle brats???

·
Registered
250 Posts
Diesel does this all the time. but I normally have my baby gates up so he can not get into the "formal living room" where we keep all the nice furniture and pictures and family hand me downs and things. but in there we have about four plans in pots on the ground... every time i move a baby gate he goes sprinting into that room. i call his name and he comes running to me with dirt on his nose.. i look at him and say "what did you do" and he gives me the look like "i didnt do anything" but the evidence is right on his face...hahaha

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My favorite story about the Bagel involves the morning after I rescued him. He had been scheduled for termination at Midnight and I had gone to the pound with my friends to look at a papered blue healer that was also scheduled for termination that evening. Going by all the condemned prisoners was painful but this one scared little beagle stood out. Each dog, puts on their best “please get me out of here” act as you pass their cages and this beagle was no different but when I went past, this beagle, unlike every other dog who were still frantically trying to catch our attention, laid back down, resigned to his fate. I had just lost my last rescue, a 15 year old German Shepard and wasn’t sure I was ready to take another rescue into my home but I made two resolutions that night. The first was never to go to a kill shelter and see that look of innocent dogs scheduled to be PTS and the second was to give this beagle a home.

I learned the beagle was between 3 and 5, didn’t have a name as he had been left tethered to a tree outside the pound and because he was going to be PTS, hadn’t been neutered. I arranged to bring him back the next week to get his shots, be neutered and get micro chipped and we got the heck away from that place. Sadly, my friends decided not to rescue the healer.

I went home with my new dog, spent several hours going through ever name I could get off the net, hoping to determine his name. The only word I would say that would make him cock his head was :”beagle” and I wasn’t going to name him that so he got called “Bagel” Silly me, all my previous rescues had been exclusively outside dogs and I didn’t know that much about the beagle breed. . The following morning I took him out to his new backyard.

My old dog had peacefully co-existed with a resident cottontail rabbit who lived under some stuff I had leaned against the back wall! My yard is fenced six foot cement block wall with to wrought Iron Gates at the front, the gates have spacing sufficient to contain a beagles so I was confident he would enjoy his new backyard. I released the hound and watched as he investigated, soon finding the rabbit’s trail which lead from the backyard to and through the gate so neighbors lawns (I have desert Landscaping) could be visited for his rabbit meals. The Bagel followed the scent to the gate, determined he couldn’t fit through and followed the trail back to the cottontail’s warren which was sufficiently protected by clutter so he couldn’t disturb Mr. Rabbit.

Content that the bunny wasn’t in immediate peril, I turned and started to walk to back to my house when I see the Bagel come by me, walking the top of the Block Wall, I watched with amazement as he walked down the wall till he passed the gate where the Block wall continues at a three foot level to the street. The Bagel hopped down to the three foot fence, then down to the ground and returned to the gate, where he found the rabbit-trail and started to follow it to my neighbors lawn.

The next half hour was spent trying to figure out how the Bagel climbed a 6 foot block wall. He used a couple of old tires stacked against the back wall by the corner, would run up, spring up on the tires and with momentum, hit the back wall, push off and upward and get on the top of the side wall. Agile little critter. I moved his launching ramp, resolved to be more vigilant with the Bagel backyard and all was in order until I decided to go back into my house and he expected to follow. I guess we already starting to bond as I began searching the net for information on the beagle breed.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
OOH,TOUGH CHOICE!!! But it I had to choose ONE! It
would be Snapper & "The case of the missing anchovies"! When we lived in southern california
we used to launch our boat out from either cabrrio
beach or from huntington beach. And fish the breakwater area or the open-ocean depending on the
weather,anchovies was the best bait for the task
and Snapper LOVED to travel with his humans! Well,
he also loved to eat fish...(but he was smart enough to hide this fact)! (Until one day Pop
spotted a tail sticking out of his mouth!) Pop whispered, look at Snappers mouth,(There was a small fish-tail sticking out of his mouth)! When Snapper,(pretending to be asleep) opened one eye
& promptly slammed it shut while we were both looking at his mouth...He gulped that anchovie down!!! Snapper was my first beag & Pop,s 2nd &
we "both knew" at that time that Beagles were
the smartest dog,s "to date" & were (the breed for us")!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine isn't very funny, but it makes me smile every time I think about it.

When we rescued Hunter from the shelter, he was very shy, reserved, cautious and suspect of everything and everybody for his first few weeks. He immediately grew fond of his "spot" -- the left cushion of our living room couch. We're in the living room a lot to read and watch TV, and that spot lets him see the front door and into our dining room if people are coming and going.

Well, a few weeks after we got Hunter, I was sitting in his "spot" on the couch when he waddled into the living room. He will now sit down directly in front of you and look you straight in the eye with disdain if you are in his spot. Well, I didn't have any particular interest in moving, so I motioned for him to jump on the other side of the couch. This was unsatisfactory to him.

About 30 seconds later, I hear him start barking at our sliding glass door out to our balcony. Hunter NEVER barks inside (I know, odd). He NEVER barks. So I immediately became concerned and stood up to go see what he was barking at. He stepped away from the sliding glass door, and I opened it and walked out onto the balcony. I stood there for five or ten seconds and didn't see a thing.

So I walked back inside, closed the door, and went back into the living room. Sure enough, the fat beagle is curled up in his spot looking at me out of the corner of his eye to say, "idiot". I was too proud of him, and too embarassed for myself, to make him move.

Half of me hopes he was smart enough to fake me out because at that point I think he had become comfortable in our house. I'm not sure dogs have that ability, but I like to think they do.

Oh, and for good measure, when I sat back down on the couch next to him, he rolled over on his back and grunted for some belly rubs.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stories, everyone! You don't have to choose just one /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . Another of mine also involves my Romeo. He and Chloe are about the same age (she's 3 weeks older), and I got them about a week apart. Granddaughter, Alicia, lived here at the time, and she had a kitten, Tigger - about the same age as Chloe and Romeo. One night I heard this terrible YOWLNG and ran to see what was going on. Found the 3 of them in the hall, one beagle puppy FIRMLY attached to each kitty ear, playing "tug of war". I managed to rescue the kitty, she wasn't HURT, but boy she was one mad kitten. If you think one beagle puppy is fun - try 2 about the same age. What one can't think of, the other can. After rescuing kitty and making sure she hadn't been hurt, I went into hysterics - it WAS funny since she was okay.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, NW, people often say, "why on earth do you want beagles, they're STUPID" - they're NOT stupid, I can actually "see" them problem solving, figuring out how to get into something they're NOT supposed to". They usually find a way, too!
"the smartest dogs "to date" & were (the breed for us")"!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Does it have to be a "real" story?

An old, tired-looking beagle wandered into the yard. I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home.

He followed me into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep in a corner.
An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, resumed his position in the hall, and slept for an hour. This continued for several weeks.

Curious, I pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your beagle comes to my house for a nap."
The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar:

"He lives in a home with ten children -- he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Karebru:
Does it have to be a "real" story?

An old, tired-looking beagle wandered into the yard. I could tell from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home.

He followed me into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep in a corner.
An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.

The next day he was back, resumed his position in the hall, and slept for an hour. This continued for several weeks.

Curious, I pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your beagle comes to my house for a nap."
The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar:

"He lives in a home with ten children -- he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"
:hysterical:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beaglesmom:
By the way, NW, people often say, "why on earth do you want beagles, they're STUPID" - they're NOT stupid, I can actually "see" them problem solving, figuring out how to get into something they're NOT supposed to". They usually find a way, too!
"the smartest dogs "to date" & were (the breed for us")"!!!
Agree!!!!!
My story proves it....
I caught Chloe last week trying to get her ball the rolled undert he TV stand. Since she can't fit under there anymore (thank god), she tried getting it with just her head under the stand and the paws, didn't work.
A few minutes later I see her holding another stuffed toy in her mouth (one of those long towely dogs) and fitting it under the stand... 30 seconds later the ball was out!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is priceless, Eleanor. I just wish the would use some of that intelligence to UNLEARN some of their "habits" - I have a bunch of "beagle/moths" here that eat holes in everything they can find.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by beaglesmom:
That is priceless, Eleanor. I just wish the would use some of that intelligence to UNLEARN some of their "habits" - I have a bunch of "beagle/moths" here that eat holes in everything they can find.
I join you in one thing: she keeps eating dirt at the park.... it's only her and Abby (her best friend... beagle of course) that are doing it.... drives me nuts!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wrote this up in summer 2001, back when I was new to beagles. The reality was funny -- I'm not sure the story does it justice.

Lucy and the goldfish - 2001
The background:
My DH and I have been doing some re-landscaping in the backyard. Our beagles, Lucy and Flora have approved of most of them. They have rock borders to jump, a whole section of yard covered in wood chips to run, slide, and dig in, and the au natural (unfinished) section with long grass to hide in. We have also placed a little pond among some hosta in the grass section. It is not installed, just set among the grass, plants, and decorative rocks, but we got excited and put goldfish in it already.

About Lucy:
Lucy is very friendly, even for a beagle. She believes all humans were placed on earth to pet her, even the scary-looking ones. Any other moving creature is meant to play with her (except squirrels and rabbits). However, Lucy hates water. She will not swim, she will not go out in the rain, and she will not walk by the sprinkler, even to get her dinner.

Lucy meets the goldfish:
Once the goldfish started swimming around and not hiding under their rocks at every shadow, Lucy became fascinated with them. She stared into the pond, ears up, forehead wrinkled in concentration. Her head followed the bright fish’s every move. Her pal, Flora, watched for a while, then wandered off to sniff elsewhere. Lucy jumped to the rocks to get a better view. She sniffed the water to see if she could track the fish. The fish did not notice her, except to run from her shadow. Lucy ran to the other side of the pond and stood on some different rocks and sniffed the water. She tried to reach the fish, but her nose got wet. She tried to reach the fish with her paw, but it got wet. Lucy jumped off the rocks and ran around the pond several times, looking for a way under the water layer to get to the fish. She whined, she pawed the water, she hunted for holes, but she couldn’t get to the fish. She began barking at the fish to come out and play, but they wouldn’t listen, and her people came and took her into the house.

In conclusion:
Lucy goes through this routine most days, but doesn’t spend as much time as the first day. Thank goodness she skips the barking part now!

Back to 2008: Lucy complete ignores the pond now!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This goes way back to my first beagle mix, Gunner, and his companion, Ruby, who was a viszla mix.

A neigbor had a cat who kept coming into our yard much to Gunner & Ruby's dismay. One day, my husband was out in the yard with the dogs, and the cat came over. Ruby distracted the cat, and Gunner nipped it. I didn't see the drama, but could just picture Gunner saying to Ruby, "You get in that cat's face, and I'll sneak up and do some damage." :lol2:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What great stories - I can just see Lucy barking at those darned fish! How dare they ignore HER! That is funny.
My "little Angel", who is not quite 9 months old, is a funny little thing - she's very spoiled - she was tiny at birth, was the only survivor of her litter, and had to be bottle fed for quite a while to supplement her. My son in law adored her and carried her around with him when he was home. Ever since she was old enough to SEE it, she's been absolutely fascinated by her TAIL, she'll be sitting with the others, catch that tail MOVING and off she goes trying to catch it. She keeps her humans laughing all the time. Another of her favorite things to do is to HIDE a bone or chewey. You never know WHERE one of those will pop up. Even if it's just laying in the corner - she'll "push" imaginary cover over it with her nose, then can't understand when someone comes along and STEALS it from her. I really think beagles are the clowns of dogdom!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Great stories everyone! And what is wrong with me... I know I have a million stories with our pack, but for the life of me I can't think of even ONE right now! I think I've been working too hard...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I so wish I had pictures from last night. It started snowing here, the first time the Twins and Stray Jack saw snow. They played outside trying to check the snowflakes before they hit the ground!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! Sounds like Sparky keeps you on your toes! What a character!
Thanks for sharing those stories - you had me laughing out loud!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts