Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vent time.

Took Charlie and Rolo for the evening walk, later than norm cause I was busy, so it was to be shorter, along we went here comes the last bit of the walk shortcut up the alley up a few houses I see some older gents, outside chatting away 4 of them (I do know bulldogs live at this house so I stay to the other side, not to go near the chain fence all the time), well I notice 1 of the bulldogs are laying by the owners feet along with the owners guy friends, I move more over to the side approx 3 houses down getting a tighter handle on my dogs, and seeing if i could see if atleast his bulldog is held by a leash.....................TOOOOO LATE BULLDOG COMES CHARGING, as he's charging....guys are watching, I yell yehhhhhhhhh is this one friendly, they say sure....as I know they have 4 of them and don't know what one is charging......something is telling me, he's not by the way he's running...........anyhoooooo he's approuched us does not know which dog to go after in that spli sec......Charlie is frantic, Rolo is not having anypart of whats about to happen and gets his guard up and stars barking along with the bulldog......bulldog trying to lundge at rolo.....as charlie is circling curled up like so scared......I'm trying not to let go of my dogs (owners and friends doing nothing but watching all this, I'm blocking Rolo and bulldog....while trying to make sure charlie is ok...this is happening so fast...I did not want to bend down to pick up rolo......sheettttt i don't have the harnesses on tonight...only colors and leashes .....I'm almost killing my own dog, trying to pull him straight up airborn style with his leash and the color is choking him I drop his weight seeing I'm hurting him, trying to block again.......airborn my dog again...finally get him at a hight and can grab him ....meanwhile bull dog is trying to jump up nipping at his butt....now I have rolo is arms Charlie is sooo scared now dog is trying to approuch charlie but not like he did with rolo....Charlie is so worried looking up at rolo.......curling up his body....GUY FINNALY RUNS DOWN AND GRABS HIS DOG......I say what the heck.....
he says yeh is your dog a male?
I go yeh 2 year old male...
He then says...oh that's why his dog did what he did cause of male testosterone?
ohh my this is weird
...I said that can't be why...charlie is male too.....owner and friends starting laughing and talking about lucky for my dogs it was not his female dog ...what? anyhow I was so outa breath not going to stand there being intimated by a bunch of men.....and left........ when I placed rolo back on the ground, charlie was so concerned he checked rolo over with smells and little licks, then we came right home...I looked my rolo over no owies but man is he shaking and charlie too is so lost by the whole ordeal..... arghhhhh

sorry for the ramble of text if it don't make sense sheesh I'm really upset

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd be upset too, and furious!

How irresponsible of those owners to let their dog run around on the street like that, and how irresponsible of them to allow it to hassle your dogs without intervening!

Is there anyone you can report this incident to? You local ranger or council (not sure what you would call it in the US).

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
If it were here, one would report them to the local police and council. They would demand the dogs be leashed and muzzled when outside their property.
Glad you and your dogs were o.k. A nasty experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh my goodness!
Why didn't the guy come and get the dog?? Or have it on a leash? I just don't get some people!

We have a bulldog who lives on the corner. She's pretty friendly to us, but has never encountered JoJo. Her owners often keep her off-leash, and the only time I've actually seen a leash on her is when the little girl walks her.
Coming home one night from our walk, Cali (the bulldog) charges right for JoJo. We didn't see her coming. Her stance was so dominant, it scared us. No owners around...it was SO weird!
JoJo froze up immediately and I tried to urge her away from Cali b/c I didn't know what was on her agenda. No matter where we tried to turn, Cali was stuck like glue to JoJo, trying to smell her parts. She followed us while we threw our doggie bag away, and tried to come home with us. She'd relaxed by then, but there was no way I could even get into our front door without her charging...so we walked JoJo over to Cali's house, so she'd follow. Owners were around back, I explained what happened...no apology. Their response, Well, she always comes back to the front door.

Apparently not always.

BUT...I'm glad you and the boys are okay. And glad the guy came when he did. I'd definitely check in to see who you can call to report it. There are leash laws for a reason.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wonder what the owners would have done if you pulled out some pepper spray and gave the charging bulldog a dose?

I'll never understand people like that. It turns a nice evening walk into an ordeal.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Instead of a swine flu epidemic going around, it seems more like a major stupidity epidemic!!! What is with these people?? Do you have to hit them upside the head with a two by four to get their attention that this type of behavior is totally unacceptable! Just an hour ago we were at a local park, had finished our walk and were waiting for husband to finish up. Sitting on a bench enjoying the sniffs and just generally blissing out. Out of nowhere comes a chow with less than friendly intentions in mind. No owner in sight. I hussle the pups into the car with the chow right behind me. Perfect morning ruined! The one good thing in this thread is everbody's dogs were ok, rattled for sure, but ok. I would positively report those bulldogs to the animal control. You were real close the the line with assault. Belly rubs to all our sweet beagles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Some people just don't get it - when you own a pet then you become responsible for that pet - in every way, shape and form. If someone who owns a dog chooses to let that dog run loose then they need to be willing to fully accept any and all consequences that go with that choice. I agree - a stupidity and lack of common sense - that is the major epidemic that is now running rampant in this country - that applies not just to pet owners but society as a whole. I now have the next topic for my blog (irresponsible pet owners) - don't worry, no names will be mentioned - don't have to. I visit a few dog groups online - seems like everyday in at least 1 of those groups, something like this is happening.
Ok - stepping down off of soapbox now - but sometimes things like this really get to me because they give good and responsible pet owners and dog breeds, a bad rap.

Anyway, I am so glad things are ok now - the dogs and people survived altho I can bet it was terrifying at the time.

BTW - Here in the US - I'd contact the police or better, Animal Control if you have one. So many dog owners believe their loose dog will not attack a small child even tho they mite be aggessive towards other dogs - it does happen - if that loose dog goes after another dog, it just mite go after a small child too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all I contacted the local SPCA.

I highly doubt the owner will care. Certain personality... that I don't care to name call certain types of people but you get what I mean.

same guy a few months back when walking with neigbours pup her pup is kinda not trained yet and he said from behind his fence with his dogs you know how to get a dog in line beat the sheet out of them.....we just looked at eachother her and I and carried on, we could not believe he said that.

also when we walk pass there and all bulldogs are behind chain fence man do they try to get out.....snorting like they do....

see about the chow post yeh they are not typically to friendly of dogs they are moreso loners and 1 family owner, glad everything was safe...

I also told My son what happened, and he has a dom male large chow *and he said next time he comes over he wants me to walk his chow pass that guys house and lets see if bulldogs come after chow and chow would put him in his place, and say to the man same thing he said to me...... I thought it maybe a good idea however regardless i don't want any dogs hurt even those that start it, it's not dogs fault but owners....

My hun told me now to walk both dogs anymore together cause if something like this happens again he says it will be easier for me to take controll of one dog........I agree but why do I have to disapline my walks and doggies walks cause of idiot owners and their dogs? *sad*.

I understand this is happening in a lot of places.....I just don't get it......fear of walking our dogs at everycorner now

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
What a horrible experience. I'm glad that Charlie and Rolo and you are OK. Usually, with people like that, their dog ends up paying in the end. Infuriating! What an a**hole!

Good point made...carry some pepper spray around your neck.

~Denise

·
Registered
472 Posts
I feel your frustration but mine is a little different, the man across the street has a dog that he lets out front to do his business so guess where the dog poops ...yep my front yard
My husband has been over there a few times asking the man to make his dog use the backyard and he says oh o.k. and then next thing we know we find
in the yard I shoveled it up once and threw it in his driveway thinking maybe he would get the hint but no, so I called animal control and they can't help. Hope you have better luck with SPCA so you can enjoy your walks again with no worry!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts