Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And you thought that BW going down was trouble enough...

At 4 AM on July 3rd, we woke up to the sound of Summer, vomitting... in our bed... twice. After a cleanup and gentle tummy rub, we went back to sleep and woke up 2 hours later... our normal time.

All seemed well, I put the girls outside, Frani put their breakfast meal together. They do their business and come in to eat. 30 minutes later, Summer throws up her breakfast. She curls up on the couch and goes to sleep. After a few hours, she wakes up and seems fine. So we stick with our plan of a walk at Valley Forge. All was fine until the return portion. Summer just stops and pukes up the awful brown fluid (I have no idea what it is). She is much slower now. I call out vet and make an appointment. We get there and Summer is not herself. No sniffing, no barking, just leans against me. Our vet looks her over, a mild fever but nothing outwardly serious. She thinks its an issue of an upset stomach and mild over heating (though we did give them water regularly). Sub-q fluids and a Medi shot for her tummy. No food, only water for 24 hours. I take her home. She drinks water and vomits again. Tell the vet, now no food or water for 24 hours. Summer sleeps most of the day and the rest of the night.

The next morning (4th of July), something is wrong. She is very lethargic and seems lost. When Frani finds her standing in a corner, we decide the that a trip to the Emergency Vet is needed. Well, xrays showed lots of gas and liquid... nothing out of the ordinary. They keep her for a day and a half. But she won't eat. They ask if I can come in and try. I do. She eats a little bit of kibble for me, so they send her home with more meds.

The morning of the 5th, I give her a breakfast of dry kibble. It take her 2 hours but she eats it and no vomiting or diariah. Thankfully. By the evening she is eating normally. Thats one bad weekend.

Today she is being her normal self.

·
Registered
276 Posts
sorry to hear that Summer didn't feel well all weekend but glad that she is feeling better now. Nothing can turn a relaxing weekend into a stress filled nightmare like a sick dog.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Summer and you! I hope now that she is feeling better, things will stay that way.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh wow, what a rough weekend you did have. I glad that Summer is starting to feel better now

Lot's of TLC for her.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The curse of the holiday weekend strikes again! Sick dog and long weekend. I am glad she is feeling better. Don't you just hate the no cause found, because you know when a beagle will not eat something is wrong. Poor Summer, she really did not get to enjoy a road trip and supper outing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so glad to read that Summer has recovered and, hopefully, you guys have caught up on your sleep! There is definitely a curse of the holiday weekend -- if a pet doesn't get sick, then the hot water heater or air conditioner konks out!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Poor Summer!! What a weekend...glad she's on the mend!

·
Registered
890 Posts
This morning when I went to Beagles on the Web, I saw that Clayton had a $500.18 tummy bug this weekend too.

Get better Summer.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadThis morning when I went to Beagles on the Web, I saw that Clayton had a $500.18 tummy bug this weekend too.

Get better Summer.
I saw that too - and immediately thought that he and Summer must have been eating the same putrid crap that they found under something... glad to hear that Summer seems to be on the mend. What a way to spend a holiday weekend...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Several years ago I was having some heavy duty dental expenses. I joked with my dentist that with all the money I had put out I should at least have one of his dental chairs dedicated in my name. The next visit there was a fancy little 3x5 index card on the chair seat declaring it was named in my honor! Surely your vet could at least have a reserved seating area for you and your crew!!!! lol

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Poor baby, hope she continues to feel better. It's so hard to know whether it's something that will pass or something serious.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear poor Summer and you two. Main thng is all seems well now. Hope the bills not too big, but when its our beloved beagles we dont hesitate to get to the vets. Best wishes to you all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hope she's back to her old beagle self, and that you're doing better, too. I know I always get worked up with JoJo's sick.

Vey bills are rough -- I can't even imagine an emergency vet bill. But we have to keep our dogs healthy!

·
Registered
350 Posts
it seems that all we have here are MYSTERIOUS illnesses.
champ twice, then bonnie went off yesterday, lethargic all day,
puked a green yellow, and her eye that had the cherry started with the redness and swelling....
wierd. must be the full moon?
i am sorry for your challenge this weekend.
i am going to start a post of my own....
and im VERY glad she is seeming normal.
bonnie is too.
C,

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad weekend many hugs for Summer and you all ((())) Glad she is feeling better though.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
My goodness! Poor Summer and all of you were stressed over this. Nothing worse than a sickly doggie to worry over. So glad she seems to be getting better. Good girl Summer!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts