Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
annabelle will only eat her dry kibble if i mix in half a can of wet food with it...can you feed a dog too much wet food? it's been years since i've owned a dog, and that guy would eat anything (he's a lab and lives with my parents...dad got too attached, lol). i don't want to make her sick with too much of the wet food, but that's the only way she will eat it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't like giving Chloe wet food, it gives her gas and she has the runs...

You could try soaking Annabelle's dry kibble with warm water. That would get the juices from the kibble out. I've never heard of a dog that could resist it.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyI don't like giving Chloe wet food, it gives her gas and she has the runs...

You could try soaking Annabelle's dry kibble with warm water. That would get the juices from the kibble out. I've never heard of a dog that could resist it.
I've tried that and it hasn't worked for me, mine is the same way, they sell kibble sauce that you pour on if you dont want to give wet food, i'd try that, atm its whats working for our picky beag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah...i've heard of the sauce stuff...thank you both! don't know why i never thought of either suggestions, lol...thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sephly
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyI don't like giving Chloe wet food, it gives her gas and she has the runs...

I've tried that and it hasn't worked for me, mine is the same way, they sell kibble sauce that you pour on if you dont want to give wet food, i'd try that, atm its whats working for our picky beag.
now I know of one dog that won't work on...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I occasionally add about a tablespoon of can food to each of the dog's bowls and then add some warm water also. It mixes it around more and then they will eat it. I have also been known to add some gravy, chicken broth, olive oil, or bacon grease to their food. I like to give them special treats. Only one of my 4 gives me any grief when I simply set down the dry, but I figure if she is hungry enough (keep in mind she's a Beagle) she'll eat it eventually.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Canned pumpkin (no additives--pure pumpkin) works well too (at least for Java). Something about the added texture and sweetness of the pumpkin makes him eat with passion. He ends up licking his bowl so hard that he pushes it halfway across the room by the time he's done. It's got some good nutrients, but I'm not sure you can give it to them long term.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i left the food alone and she ate it dry when she got hungry...just as you said she would. which i figured any animal is smart enought to eat when they're hungry, lol...and i know what you mean about the runs. 4 piles in the house over night. woof. no problems since i eliminated the wet food though!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't ever feed canned food - my beagle wouldn't know what it was! We feed high quality dried food and raw. I would ideally love to feed an entirely raw diet (BARF) but I need to learn more about the right balance.

My little dog can be a fussy eater but if she won't eat within 15 minutes I take the bowl away and that's it until the next day/meal. A dog will never let itself go hungry, and they learn pretty darn quickly that the food won't be there if they don't eat it. A hungry dog will *always* eat.

If you want to give her some meat get some nice raw bones like chicken wings/necks/frames, turkey necks, lamp flaps etc and feed that. the dogs love raw food and its so good for them too!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Smeagle

If you want to give her some meat get some nice raw bones like chicken wings/necks/frames, turkey necks, lamp flaps etc and feed that. the dogs love raw food and its so good for them too!
Um i've always heard its terribly bad to give them avian bones, because their hollow and therefore really easy to break and for them to choke on....

·
Registered
786 Posts
Mine get a table spoon of wet food mixed in with there dry food. (its a roasted venison) So with 3 dogs one can lasts me 3 days.

I don't feed raw or bones, but from what I've read its all what they get use to. Also some dogs gulp down there food and others chew well. So I guess you have to watch and see what type you have?

·
Registered
837 Posts

Um i've always heard its terribly bad to give them avian bones, because their hollow and therefore really easy to break and for them to choke on....
Only true if the bones are cooked, as that makes the bones brittle - and that applies for any meat. There is nothing dangerous about raw chicken bones, and I have been feeding it for years without any problems

Chicken necks and wings are definitely not hollow! My dogs eat raw chicken bones almost every day.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: pfr

I don't feed raw or bones, but from what I've read its all what they get use to. Also some dogs gulp down there food and others chew well. So I guess you have to watch and see what type you have?
Yep the only danger associated with chicken bones is smaller types like chicken necks - some dogs, if they are gulpers, gulp them down without chewing them as they are small. In this instance you would want to feed something bigger like a chicken wing, turkey or lamb neck or chicken frame as the bigger bone forces the dog to chew.

Raw food and raw bones are great for a dogs teeth too

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Smeagle

Only true if the bones are cooked, as that makes the bones brittle - and that applies for any meat. There is nothing dangerous about raw chicken bones, and I have been feeding it for years without any problems

Chicken necks and wings are definitely not hollow! My dogs eat raw chicken bones almost every day.
oh! intresting, I looked into the raw food diet but I'm not sure how my pup would take do it, and i'm not sure i have the time now as a college student to prepare raw meals....is it very tedious? They sell frozen raw food at my local pet store but i'm not sure if i should take the plunge just yet. When you first switched your dogs did they have a hard time adjusting? where they sick for a few days?...just curious. The AVS professor at my school is COMPLETELY against raw food diets lol so I guess i've also been alittle weary of them.

·
Registered
837 Posts

oh! intresting, I looked into the raw food diet but I'm not sure how my pup would take do it, and i'm not sure i have the time now as a college student to prepare raw meals....is it very tedious? They sell frozen raw food at my local pet store but i'm not sure if i should take the plunge just yet. When you first switched your dogs did they have a hard time adjusting? where they sick for a few days?...just curious. The AVS professor at my school is COMPLETELY against raw food diets lol so I guess i've also been alittle weary of them.
Wow! That's interesting. Does your professor say why?

My dogs have been fed a combination of raw and dried food since they were pups, but recently I have been buying the Dr Billinghurst BARF patties and feeding them as well, and they had no issues eating them.

I don't feed a complete raw diet, so all I do when I want the dogs to have some raw food is stop at the local butchers and buy some chicken necks/wings, or cow bones, or lamb flaps/chicken frames etc - so it is very easy and convenient to feed some raw food if you don't want to do an entire raw diet. Even just feeding a chicken wing in the morning or at night time is a good way to implement some raw food into your dog's diet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts