Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Dusty noticed that Traveler was straining to pee. This morning he seemed fine, but we took him to the vet anyway since he has a history of urinary problems.

The vet tested the urine sample we took, and we had him do bloodwork since we needed to follow up. The urine sample didn't show anything amiss, and Traveler's kidney enzymes were the best ever.

So, the vet thought it was just some kind of anomaly, told us to call if there were any more problems and that he'd call in a prescription if needed.

We left feeling good, and thinking we hadn't really needed to take Traveler. Well, by golly, if he didn't start straining again this evening. So, the vet called in an antibiotic prescription, and we've started Traveler on it.

This seems so strange since all the test results were good. Any ideas?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas here Sandy, but I hope that Traveler is OK. Could it just be problems related to old age or maybe his bladder and not kidneys?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am not sure about dogs but I know that male cats can get blockages like the stones that people get. It does cause them to strain so if the antibiotic doesn't work you might ask about that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just happy all of the test results were good. Maybe something else is bothering him while peeing, like a pulled muscle or something. Is he straining when pooping?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor Traveler! If symptoms persist after round of antibiotics are finished, perhaps the vet ought to take a urine sample via cystocentesis and/or perhaps an x-ray to rule out stones as others have mentioned. I am always anxious for Maggie when she has to have a cystocentesis done but she could care less.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Sandy, Do try giving Traveler a diluted dose of apple cider
vinegar! It is a proven treatment for urinary tract problems!
You can either add one tablespoon per gallon to your hounds
water bowl or add a baby teaspoon of it with some warm water
to his food & stir it up like I do for Goober 3 times weekly
(due to his advanced age)! (Goober is living longer than he has
a right to)thanks to this, & the other vitamins & dietary care
we give our boy,s!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Poor Traveler!
I hope the vet can get to the bottom of this soon. Do dogs have prostate glands?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Traveler's neutered, so his problem shouldn't be related to the prostate. I know it can cause problems, though, because my Shadow was neutered due to onset of prostate troubles.

Right now, Traveler's doing okay. He has a few more days on the antibiotic. Five days after the last dose, we're to take a urine specimen to the vet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts