Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are ready for a new brother. Cobi is lonely this summer without someone to run the back yard with him. So we are looking for a tri-colored, male, puppy (less than 9 months) either in SD or Mn or eastern ND. We'd like to have him be a give away, if possibly, as we will give him all the love, attention and caring that a pup needs, but $$ is a problem.
So if you hear or know of any rescue pups, or have anyone who is wanting to give a beagle or beagle/basset away, write me. I can supply references if necessary.

Cathy J

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm so happy that you've decided to get a new family member to keep Cobi company. I know how hard Chip's loss was for you and it does take time to move past that and let your heart be ready to love again.

We are getting to that point and I've just started looking to see what's out there, both in beagle rescue and other sources.

One weird option I saw was Craig's List. They are few and far between, but I did see two beags with small rehoming fees, but by the time I saw the ads, they were gone.

I also looked at our local SPCA since they have a listing on Petfinders. There is a 5 y/o female beag in foster right now and I have already emailed the foster mom to see if she's still available. So you may try these other options for beagles that aren't as much $$. Good luck and please let us know when you find Cobi's brother!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I hope you find your beagle soon. A new dog won't replace one that's gone to the Bridge, but it will help your heart to heal. I'm sure Cobi will be happy to have a new brother.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an ad in the paper for a 5 month old male beagle, to give away. My heart says NO I don't want to go through that pain again....but my bigger heart says this little boy needs us.
I'm going to call, but I just don't know. If he's the right one, he'll be there for us. You are right no new pup is going to take Chip's passing away, yet, we have big hearts and he would want us to share and for Cobi to be the big brother for once. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're still looking for a new brother. It's so hard because we have no beagle rescues in the area, the nearest is in Sioux Falls about 200 miles away. We found a hybrid breeder who has a Hush Basset that was 6 months old, but he already out weighs Cobi,and is 5 inches taller. That just won't work. If you hear of anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
Cathy J

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Have you tried the lady Denise (gingergoose) got Yodel from? If I remember correctly, she transports beagles across the country for their forever homes...

·
Registered
220 Posts
please check out my post about the beagles in Manitoba that were taken from a breeder who didn't care for them. It's not that far from you, i'm sure travel arrnagments could be made. These poor little guys really need our help!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WELLLL, she's not a beagle, but very close. She's a basset. She is 12 weeks old, tri colored, and a she. We've never had a she in our house, so that might prove interesting. I am more than a bit nervous about taking her, as I've read and heard different things about bassets and just don't know....I think it's fear that we'll spend time in pain again as we did with Chipper. Did anyone else every think that, or is it just me being paranoid about being amother again. Her owner is a reputable breeder in town, has many show does, but still has yet to determine if this little lady is show quality. I know she will want more $$$ that we have to spend on her, but, if I see her, I'll probably fall in love. Tell me anything you all know about bassets...and then pray that I make the right decision. I do have my heart set on a beagle.

Cathy J

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Some neighbors once had a basset who sort of became our surrogate dog. Fred was funny, laid back, and pretty independent. He loved playing with Misty, and seeing a basset chasing a whippet was quite a sight!
He had a very deep bark, and there was no problem hearing him.

If you're planning to keep the puppy in the house, I will point out that bassets tend to be considerably more smelly than beagles. It's always been my theory that the ears might be the cause of that.

That's about all I know about bassets. You're right that you'd probably fall in love if you see her 'cause basset puppies are adorable.
My only caution is that if you have your heart set on a beagle, then that's probably what you should get. As far as the puppy being a she, it's been our experience that girls are easier than boys. However, others will think the opposite's true.

Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have 2 Bassets and a Beagle,The Bassets are very similar in behaviour to Beagles but generaly more stubborn.
Both of mine are rescues but Rupert was only 6 months old when we got him.
They are quite a lot bigger and stronger than Beagles especilly the males.
My bitch weighs about 38 pounds and she is a very small Basset,Rupert is also a small dog and weighs about 55 pounds.I find that they all get on great together and they are fun dogs.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My husband grew up with bassets and although he really loved them and wanted to stay with the hound family, he has said many times that he prefers the beagle now that he has had both. The reasons he has raised include:

- Drool. Bassets drool. A lot. I remember going to my husband's parents' house and there was basically a line of drool along the bottom of the bottom kitchen cabinets from it flying whenever they shook their heads... they would clean it up and the next day it would come back. Our beagles drool when we have food but that is about it, so if drool is high on your list of dislikes with a dog that might be a consideration.

- Size. Bassets are really big dogs with short legs. They are therefore also a lot heavier than beagles and that also translates into being a lot stronger than beagles when they want to go one way and you want to go another way (given that they share the beagle's stubborn genes)! And getting them in and out of the tub for baths was apparently a REAL treat - so much so that they didn't get baths very often and ended up quite houndy smelling as a result!

- Walking. My husband's recollection is that the urinalysis of every tree, post, bush, blade of grass, etc. carried out by the bassets would take a few minutes per tree, post, bush, blade of grass, compared to a mere few seconds for the beagles (unless the intital review indicates a further more detailed analysis is required, of course) - and therefore walks with the bassets tended to be realy slow and you never went very far!

Those are the most obvious negatives he has raised - but on the positive side beagles and bassets definitely share a lot of the same wonderful personality traits and the basset bay is a beautiful baritone version of the beagle bay.

Good luck with your decision - and if this basset isn't the one I'm sure the right beagle will come along...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally Posted By: BookerMoose
- Drool. Bassets drool. A lot. I remember going to my husband's parents' house and there was basically a line of drool along the bottom of the bottom kitchen cabinets from it flying whenever they shook their heads
- Size. Bassets are really big dogs with short legs. They are therefore also a lot heavier than beagles and that also translates into being a lot stronger than beagles when they want to go one way and you want to go another way (given that they share the beagle's stubborn genes)!-
Those are the most obvious negatives he has raised - but on the positive side beagles and bassets definitely share a lot of the same wonderful personality traits and the basset bay is a beautiful baritone version of the beagle bay.

On the drool issue it is normally the males that drool a lot as the tend to be looser lipped.My two are good walkers and do not seem to sniff any more than Beagles do.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've more or less made my decision. I'm holding out for a beagle.
There is a little boy out there with our name on his collar, and he is mine. A basset would be okay, but it's not a beagle.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You will find your beagle! I looked for a while before finding Violet and I know they are out there, and I hope you find yours soon!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to be arrested for being weird! I go around asking everyone I see if they know of any beagle puppies or beagle breeders, no one is unapproachable. People in this area get labs and retrievers for hunting purposes, beagles are just for pets.
So I keep looking. thanks for all your help and suggestions. None of them have been left unused.

Cathy J/cobismom

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to tell you that I am getting pretty discouraged by the lack of puppies in our area. Most of the dogs are hunting dogs that have been left at shelters or are in the paper or are bred around here. Either that, or they are cute little yappers that wouldn't know an AROOOOOOOO if it hit them in the tail. The Manitoba babies will not be ready for awhile.....I've checked shelters all over the country, but for reality reasons, we have to consider how we are going to get a pup home from either of the coasts or the southern part of the US. I'm just venting because I know that Cobi is lonely, and I know that there is a puppy out there that needs us as much as I him. I'll keep looking, and if anyone hears anything about pups in either ND< MN< IOWA< NEB or SD, please let me know.

HUGS and slobbery kisses
Cathy and cobi.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cathy, I did a search for Beagle breeders in SD and came up with this one that has babies that were born July 7th and quite a few are available. There's one little dude that had part of his tail docked, but he has the most adorable face! Here's the link:

http://www.lonesomegrovebeagles.blogspot.com/

I have no idea how close these are to you, they're in Tyndall. Good luck finding your beag!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't know about Cathy, but I'm in love with those puppies! They are just adorable. As a hobby breeder, I have to tell you that I like the fact that they take CUTE pictures and don't just stack the pups (it makes them look so scared). Those puppies look loved and well-cared for. I wouldn't hesitate to talk to them at all! My studley is from Mojave Desert Beagles and when Don takes pictures of the pups, he stacks them - and it just breaks my heart. I take tons of pictures of my litters - but they never look like they're scared to death! I know Mojave Desert has many champions - Tanna's parents are both International Field Champs and there are many other field and international field champs in his line - but I truly hate seeing the puppies on his site, even tho I know he has some awesome dogs.

http://www.beaglesunlimited.org/mojavedesertbeagles/beagle_pups_group_a.htm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts