Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luigi needed a couple of shots, nothing too bad. What was interesting were the vets instructions about the biting. 10-15 minute timeouts in his crate each time Luigi bites us...which goes against what everyone on here said, as it could make his crate seem like a prison...

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Oh, and he says it takes longer with beagles since they're dumb, his words, not mine...</span>

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luigi88
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Oh, and he says it takes longer with beagles since they're dumb, his words, not mine...</span>
Thats a shame that he would say that. Most people seem to believe that the easier a dog is to train the more intelligant it is without taking into account inate behaviors that have to be overcome in some breeds.

·
Registered
212 Posts
When we asked ours, he said to yelp, say no and if we have to, hold his mouth closed for a few seconds. That's not working...lol. But I guess if we keep it up, it could get better. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I don't think that was very professional, saying beagles are dumb.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm not trying to bad mouth your vet here, but it seems he's not very professional at all. Beagles in general are extremely smart dogs. They are stubborn, no doubt but they are smart.

I have never read anywhere nor heard anywhere that you should ever use the crate for punishment. My vet does not recommend it. I know that for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also I'd say you should stick to the advice you got on the board concerning the crate especially since the vet has shown some ignorance towards the breed. The crate should be a place that the dog thinks is wonderful so that when you need him to use it you meet no resistance. Timeouts a good idea but use a small gated off section of room or hallway so It does'nt interfere with any progress you made with the crate.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Shame on your vet for saying Beagles are dumb!!! They are stubborn, but certainly not dumb!

Also, I TOTALLY disagree about using the crate for discipline. All puppies bite, granted some more than others, but patience and consistancy with saying NO, or spraying, are the keys to getting them through the biting stage...not locking them up!

Everything you're going through with Luigi right now, I'm going through with Maggie. Some days I get really frustrated, but having previously owned a beagle, I know it does get better. Hang in there!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He may be the best vet in the world, but if I were you I would never go back to him again! ever!
Him saying that, is an indication he has no knowledge of the breed and if he doesn't know his beagles, he doesn't know the other breeds. And because of that - I can only assume he will not be open to different medicinal treatments and god only knows what.

I LOVE beagles, but I love other breeds too, and would probably react the same to any other anti-breed remark like that.

As for Luigi, since this vet doesn't know beagles, take our word for it, most of us went through this with our puppies, CRATES ARE NOT FOR DISCIPLINE/PUNISHMENT. All advices on biting (spray, can with coins, yelping, turning your back....) is valid. Whichever works for you and Luigi, just not time out in the crate. It will take time, he is a puppy, and he is teething!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually, I think he said he's owned beagles in the past. and he could've meant stubborn when he said dumb. I've heard the two used interchangeably before...

The vet came highly recommended, and truth be told, we tried it today, and the biting *has* slowed down considerably so far when using the timeout method...the full method was saying "no" followed by 10-15 minutes crate time. feeling bad, we cut that down to 5 minutes, but still, it seemed to be working...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My advice... FIND A NEW VET!

Sorry, but the advice you were given and the vet's attitude really disturbs me. Beagles are independent thinkers. When you give them a command, they think about whether to obey or not. Thats not dumb.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would never go to that vet again either. One thing I learned from Marco was that they are definitely not dumb, stubborn yes. Even if he was working with not even half his potential due to his condition, everyone that met him thought he was smart. I would get another beagle too because I love their disposition, spirit and friendly nature.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Quote:Sorry, but the advice you were given and the vet's attitude really disturbs me. Beagles are independent thinkers. When you give them a command, they think about whether to obey or not. Thats not dumb.
I'd actually say that's very smart!

That vet would not have liked my answer to that very DUMB comment!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The general wisdom on training aggression out of dogs is to take away your attention when they get to the point of doing something you don't like. So, when they start to bite or growl or get possessive of toys the idea is to isolate them from attention so they know that when they cross that line, fun time stops. This can obviously be done with a crate, and some dogs react differently to alone time so they may be fine with going in their 'home crate' since it's not really punishment per se, but more of a 'i would rather be playing still' which is something they will *always* feel :). Ultimately, it's up to you to say what is enough for your dog. I know that my two are very sensitive to attention, they know when they aren't getting it and they will do anything they can think of to get it back. All it takes is me looking away and not touching them for them to realize they need to shape up before they will get to play again.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep, I would be very irritated if my vet called beagles dumb. Stubborn, oh yeah, but not dumb. I have two yellow labs, and they obey us very well and were very easy to train compared to Duke. But, I know Duke and he is every bit as smart as the labs, sometimes smarter because he is an independant thinker, so he comes up with solutions to his problems very quickly. Yes, this often gets him into trouble, but it does NOT mean he's dumb. He just is more human-like and wants to do what he wants to do, not always what I want him to do. I always say, the world is Duke's playground! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Your vet may have had a beagle, but he obviously didn't understand the beagle breed well enough to realize how smart these dogs really are. I wouldn't be able to go to that vet. I think vets need to realize our animals are like our children and to have my vet call my dog dumb is just like having my son's doctor call my son dumb. I would have a hissy fit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would not consider my beagle to be dumb. She is very intelligent at getting what she wants.

Whether you go to that vet again is your choice, but if it were me, I would change vets and tell them why.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
While I don't agree with what the vet said that either Beagles are dumb (how ridiculous is that) or that using a crate as a means of discipline is a good idea, I'd like to point out one thing.

Vets are Veterinary Surgeons they are NOT dog behaviourists. Many of them don't take the time or have the time to learn all the different characteristics of the hundreds of dog breeds around today. Nor do they take/have the time to familiarise themselves to different and/or new training techniques.

Many vets do however take the time to learn about all the different breeds and their respective needs in terms of character and temperament but these vets can be few and far between. Many vets just concentrate on the physical aspect of being a veterinary surgeon.

When you go to see your doctor or go into hospital for an operation one doesn't normally expect the doctor or surgeon to also be a Psychologist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts