Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i noticed a spot on sophie's shoulder where it looks like a sort of bald spot. the pink skin underneath is showing through her fur. i am posting this pic from my photobucket so you can look at it full size if you want to.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/pinkspot.jpg

can someone tell me what this is, should i be concerned? it's not sore, and she doesn't mess with it. there's no broken skin or flaking. it's just a spot where her skin is showing through

·
Registered
400 Posts
do you use a harness when walking Sophie? Constant contact to one spot can lead to bald spots

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, she ate her harness, and we haven't replaced it. even when we did have one, it didn't contact her there. i don't know of anything that routinely contacts her there, except for maybe the floor, when she is lying around

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Cant' say anything regarding this unless she had a scab of some sort. Coco has something like that on his chest but that was due to the fact that the Vet took some fur to test for mites and the hair never grew back.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Austin has short and thin fur and is a sneeky scratcher. He can get a spot like that on his leg before I know it. I had to be very careful with what collar he wore because where it folded over to contain the hardware would rub his fur off down to his little pink birthday suit. I know that is not your problem, but maybe he is scratching it when you are not looking.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: BoulderBeaglesI had to be very careful with what collar he wore because where it folded over to contain the hardware would rub his fur off down to his little pink birthday suit.
Since my Little Man Tate is a stud dog, in the spring we always have to remove his collar because he has bald spots from it rubbing after he has had a girlfriend or two over if we don't. I guess all the humping action and the fact that he is usually shorter than his little ladies causes his neck and collar to have too much friction as they rub on the back of the female. Poor little guy. He likes to be without the collar anyway so it isn't such a big deal.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all :)
mebbe she is doing it when i'm not looking. Lord knows she does plenty of other stuff when i'm not looking
lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well, the best I can offer is that Roscoe had a few of those spots on him when he was only 4 or 5 months old. I didn't think too much of them but when we went to the vet for the regular checkup/shots, he looked at them and took a skin scraping. It turns out Roscoe had demodectic mange. It wasn't a huge issue, the vet gave us a topical ointment that we had to put on twice a day. It went away before we even finished the prescription and he has been fine since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts