Our Beagle World Forums banner

Weird ? about sitting.

8K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Marley's Mommy 
#1 ·
Ok, so Marbles is almost a year old...he sat on his butt for a long time, when I want to give treats, he sits back on his legs, but most of the time, he always still stits on the buttocks..I thought it was a puppy thing, but he will be a year old in a few weeks..we think this is kinda weird....he just plops down on his butt all the time...should we be worried about a hip problem or something?

Manda

#6 ·
I am convinced that beagles don't like to sit the way other dogs do. My Bagel never really sits when I tell him to sit, he looks like he is sitting properly but there is a 1/4 of an inch between his bottom and the ground and all his weight is still on his legs. His prefered sitting position is on one side his butt with the opposite rear leg stuck out in an wierd and not modest pose.

#10 ·
Booker's two "sitting" positions are hovering a bit off the ground (especially if the ground is damp or dirty - she wouldn't want to get wet or dirty, of course) or sitting off on one hip with one of her legs sticking straight out - if anyone remembers the comic strip Bloom County (or its later reincarnations) she looks just like Bill the Cat when she sits (ack).

Moosie, however, does a perfect "sit" almost every time, except when he is on the hardwood floor and then his rear legs start to slide backwards... very funny!

#11 ·
Oh wow! I was thinking maybe Arty is just a silly sitter, but Im glad to hear that other beagles sit this way too. My dad keeps saying Arty sits funny, like a weird dog but now I know he's NORMAL!
See, he rarely sits like this (this was at the vet's office):

Mostly he sits like this:

And here's another pic:

I wish I had better pictures of his "sideways" sit.. He's with my parents now, but when I get him back I'll take a better, front-view pic of his sideways sit.

#12 ·
Maggie only sits in the "sideways" sit! I always thought it was because she has arthritis in her back knees -- who knew she was just being a beagle! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif This is one of the great things about BW -- in isolation, we would all be driving ourselves nuts thinking all these weird things about our pups. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

#20 ·
How funny - the ONLY pictures I seem to have of any of our gang sitting all show them sitting "sidesaddle"... I guess they all do it!

Booker (only picture of her sitting that I could find was a puppy picture... guess she is usually sleeping since I have many, many pictures of her like that!):

Moosie (this is only a few years old but boy he looks a lot older and greyer now...):

Popcorn (this was one of the photos we got before we adopted her - how could we say no to that face!):

#21 ·
this is why I absolutely love love love this place. I was getting so nervous about Marley's hips. Thought on his next check-up I was gonna ask for x-rays because he sits so lazy! He will sometimes sit stacked on his bottom if he is getting ready for a treat or if he is concentrating on something but mostly it's a sloppy sit like in the pics above!!! Woohooo, it's not just him, whew! Relieved momma here.

BookerMoose! Marley too does the hovering sit. When we walk, he knows to sit before we cross the street, or if I talk to people I make him sit, cleaning up his poop, etc. So anyway, if he is riled up or fixated on a bird, skateboarder, you name it, he will listen to the command but will be hovering over, just about touching the ground but not sitting fully, cuz gosh forbid the "thing" makes a move - he has to be ready. It's so funny.

I say "get that booty down" and he will for a split second then back to hovering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.