Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mizu weighed in at 40.6 lbs today. He is about 15-16 inch beagle. I searched average weight and he is well over the mark. Should I start him on a diet ? He has a 2 cups of food a day and a treat every other day or so & gets his excercise...so I don't know..I don't feel like I am overfeeding him either..

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby was 37lbs at her last appointment. Vet said she wasn't obese but she was "a bit chunky" and she could stand to loose 5lbs.

You should talk to your vet about how to appropriately go about having him shed some weight. In a nutshell the vet told us less treats and more (or longer) walks.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I'd check with your vet before putting Mizu on a diet, but yes, at 40.6 lbs he's probably a little overweight for his height.

My previous beagle Molly was a 15-16 inch beagle, and my vet didn't want her above 32 lbs, so he had her on 1/2 cup of dry food twice a day. That kept her right around the 30 lb mark, which was perfect for her height.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Without seeing a picture it's hard to tell for sure. Jersey is almost 17 inches and last time she was weighed came in at around 43 pounds. The vet said she wasn't over weight but could still stand to loose a couple of pounds.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree, without consulting with Mizu's vet you shouldn't start him on a diet. Usually a good measure is looking to see if he has a waist (looking from the top) and when petting his ribs, if you can feel them (but not see) - that's fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts