Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mizu weighed in last Thursday at 29 lbs. Is that too much for a 6 month old beagle ? He does not look overweight or anything. He was neutered and I didn't even think of asking about his weight since I was busy asking away questions about post-surgery.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is Mizu a 13" or a 15"? My group all weigh between 30 - 35lbs and the vet and I are watching their weight. Her feeling is as long as you can see a waist from above and feel ribs when you touch their sides they are okay. The boys need to lose a couple pounds each so I need to cut back on treats for them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is petite, she is a 13" beagle, and the vet said she will get to 20 lb at the most... since she is little. as of a month ago (4 months old) her weight was 10 lb.... my guess is that she is about 13-14 lb now (at 5 months)...
I'm kind of happy about that, she will be able to go on the plane with me and I can cuddle her always... like a baby :heart:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is Mizu from a 13" line, or is he 13" right now? :hi:

Our Myra has anonymous parents, but we are assuming she is a 13" because she is about 11" now, and 19 lbs. She is 11 months old. 29lbs as a pup for a small Beagle seems a bit high, but really all dogs are a little different.

From reading about Beagle health, the general way to tell if they are overweight is to look down on their back when they are standing, and if they have a noticeable hip/waistline they are OK. Also, a defined ribcage line is good to find. If they have a little extra padding in these areas they may be getting overweight. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use the same way to decide if our two are overweight. If they are, then its time for short rations or less treats. Susi and Snoopy are on a diet right now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with beaglechaser. We really can't tell you if he weighs too much, because all dogs carry it differently. But, my 13 inch dog is over a year older than yours, and yours weighs more than mine. Gage is only 25 pounds, and he's right on target for his frame.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is a 15" and weighs 32lbs. The vey said she should be no heavier than 27lbs. Abby is a "field" beagle and is a bit longer than other beagles so she (to me) doesn't look fat but apparently she's a little porker. The vet said she was "losing her girlish figure" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Rio (female) is nearly 16" tall at the shoulder and weighs 35#. She's longer and taller than most beagles I've seen. She has a big butt and a small head. Being from an Italian household, I nicknamed her "Mama Leone".

Ironically, see was born from two parents that were 12" tall, though her mother was very long. She's the Yoa Ming of beagles!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If I remember correctly, Lucky weighed about 29 lbs at 6 months. He was in no way fat. He weighs about 32 lbs now and is 2 years old. He is about 15" tall. He has really long legs and a slender body and always has. He a lot of muscle. But every dog is different. If you are worried about the weight, ask the vet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel is 15" and has never weighed over 27 Lbs. I regulate his food by feeling his ribs, reducing or increasing his ration by an 1/8 of a cup of kibble a day! Feel their ribs, look at their waistline, don't worry about lbs as a fit beagle (edepending on the beagle) can weigh from 15 lbs to 40+ and an overweight beagle (Again depending on the beagle) could weigh 16 lbs or 25 lbs or ??? and be too heavy!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Rio Girl:
She's longer and taller than most beagles I've seen. She has a big butt and a small head.
I had to laugh since, with the exception of the "taller" part - that is EXACTLY what we say about Popcorn!

We also sometimes call her "928" since her big butt is somewhat reminiscent of the rear end of that particular Porsche (the one that looks sort of like a vaccuum cleaner...).

And all of our three are in the 30-35 range, although Booker sometimes creeps over 35 on her "fat" days. They all wear it totally differently, though - Moose is about 16 inches tall and looks muscular with a good waistline, whereas both Booker and Popcorn definitely need to tone done a few pounds as both are shorter and just look round at that weight.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ask your vet their opinion the next time you're there. All dogs are so different and its true they carry their weight differently. Fin is a 15" I believe and he weighs about 28 lbs now. The vet said that was perfect so I didn't worry too much. From what I've heard it seems between 25-35 lbs is the average weight for full grown beagles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts