Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a long time, so I hope that everyone is doing well.

Willy and Charlie are doing great, but Charlie is starting to get a bit of a belly. It doesn't matter how many walks or anything, it is still there!

So I was thinking of feeding him a weight mgt food.

What do you recommend? They are currently on Pro Plan Lamb and Rice with extra vitamins and nutrients.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
One thing I did with my beagle Benny when he needed to lose weight was use his food kibble as treats instead of bisquits or other dog treats. He could care less as long as he got a treat! Some of those doggie treats are very fattening for them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea, however they only get one treat a day and it is a small milkone and they each only get half.

It is probably the size of a kibble after I break it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can try substituting a portion of his kibble with green beans. It will make him feel full, but with less calories. Steamed fresh or frozen is best, but if you need to use canned for convenience, rinse off the sodium that is added in the canning process.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Green beans are good, so are small carrots.

It's amazing how quickly they plump up, isn't it?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Green beans you say...will that give him the toots?

So I would steam the fresh ones or cook the frozen ones? Would I put them in cold or warm? Can I make enough for the week at one time and then put them in the fridge for one week?

They also love carrots, I give them a full carrot each for a treat in the backyard rather then a bone.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You don't have to get so involved if you don't want -- the canned green beans are fine as long as you stick to the low sodium ones. Maggie liked them cold so would open a can, put them in a container in the frig and hand them to her as treats.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night we did the carrot thing. We cut down his kibble by 1/4 and then filled the rest with carrots. He seemed to love it and it really slowed him down while he was eating.

We gave Willy a few carrots so he wasn't jealous and he would pick them up and spit them out beside his bowl! Of course he ate them at the end because a beagle wouldn't let anything go un eaten.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I tried the string beans in with my three's food and **** (not a beagle) picked them all out and left them on the floor, Jasmine wouldn't eat her food and Maggie ate all the string beans and left the food.

Go figure!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sign20.gif

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
All my guys love the green beans. They like any veggies added to their food but I bet Molly would just eat the beans if I gave them to her.

And YES, they do plump up quickly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts