Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a chart that shows what the average beagle should weigh at different stages of their life?

I got Buddy 2 weeks ago he weighed 4.3lbs now 2 weeks later at 10 weeks old he weighs 6.1lbs.

Just curious to see what the average weight gain is as they get older.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know if it's even worth while looking for a chart. Beagles come in so many different sizes, body types and colors (which has nothing to do with weight - I know
) that each of our Beagles is different than the next (and it's strange as we can all know a Beagle when we see one :D).

Chloe at 13 weeks weight less than 5 lb and a month later she was 8. She is now 21 months old and weighs 16 lb (at the most). She is a petite one.

As long as you can feel the ribs but don't see them, and as long as you can see curves when looking at his back from the top (sort of an aerial view) - he's good.

Being a puppy still - I wouldn't worry about weight. Even if he's fat it's most likely baby weight.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Most of my litters start out at about 11 oz at birth and gain about 1 lb per week before they are placed with their new owners. At their 6 week vet appt our most recent litter of pups were ranging from 5.3 to 6 lbs. Mom is average size 14 inch - 25 lbs, Dad is a 13 inch - 28 lbs.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When we got Bodie at 8 weeks old he weight 8 lbs. He then proceeded to gain one pound per week until he was around 16 weeks. He's now 22 weeks and weights 26 lbs. He is very healthy and not over-weight at all. Plus he gets lots of activity so I'm not concerned with him being over-weight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers.

I feed him 1 cup of Merrick Puppy Plate broken down into 3 meals per day.

I can definetly feel his ribs I was just surprised how he gained 2 lbs since i got him.

I have had little toy dogs my whole life so i have to get use to bigger dogs i guess.

·
Registered
421 Posts
that's interesting. my sophie was allegedly born aug 17th, but she is 16 tall while standing and weighs 16 lbs. her parents were about 20-24 if i remember right.
measured from floor to the top of their head

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have to agree with Donna - my litters typically gain just about a pound a week (8 weeks they're usually about 8 pounds - tho some start off smaller). My Joe and Jack were littermates - Joe was several ounces smaller than Jack at birth - and remained smaller throughout. He's still a much smaller beagle than his brother - built more like his grandma Spotty, while Jack is more a solid beagle like Grandpa Joe. You also can't tell from the parents what size the pups will be - Spotty was a tiny little 20# petite girl, while her full brother, Donnte, is a BIG boy @ 18 and 53#. Same parents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts