Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there are any other doggies out there that alert their mommies/daddies as to incoming severe weather? Shasta, Shiloh & I finally went to bed late last nite while watching some severe weather radar on tv. About an hour or so later, Shasta started walking around on the bed, acting like she wanted out. It was pouring down rain, thundering-lightening and I tried to get her to lay down & stay that way. She did - for a few minute then back up some more - we continued this routine for about a half hour. She never whined or anything like that but just kept walking around on the bed. A short time later the tornado sirens sounded so we all got up, went downstairs & layed on the couch - she was still a little nervous but not as much. About 45 minutes later we went bak to bed - she went right to sleep.

By the way, no tornados here in town - the sirens were for the eastern part of our county - tornados never did hit us, thank goodness. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/photo.gif

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Jake will start acting really off if there is a storm coming. And I can always tell if the moon is full too - its a crazy hound house!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Dog's have very sharp senses that can pick up weather disturbances from a distance. Whether or not they react to it is another story.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buddy hates storms...(you should see what he did to his room today!...i have to figure out how to post pics). But a few weeks ago when there was that earthquake in Illinois right when it happened the birds went nuts outside and i woke up. Buddy never stirred. My sisters cat woke her up during the earthquake...she thought he was the devil making her bed shake! hee hee.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Favorite story was about my old friend Josh who is waiting at the Bridge. Josh was rescued from living outside with no attention where he guarded a house and would never come in my house. He lived in my backyard, loved to play fetch with a tennis ball but wouldn't come in the house. The closest thing he would do is come to the back sliding door, put his two paws in the house on my carpet, drop the ball between his paws and use his nose to roll the ball across the floor to me so I would throw it again.

One summer day, I was heading to UNLV to teach a class and I heard this scratch on the back door. I went to back door and there was Joshua, looking nervous. I slid the door open a bit and he used his nose to open the door sufficiently to gain entrance. Josh was a big macho German Shepard and he entered the house like a police dog, searching every room in the house like he was seeking someone (or something). He finally found what he was seeking, a half bathroom off my laundry room and about as far from outside the house as you could get. He then lied down and refused to budge. I had to get to class so I got him a bowl with some water, closed the door to the bathroom, locked him in the house and headed off to UNLV. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hyper.gif

I drove about a mile and saw what had made Josh so nervous; about five miles away at the south end of the Las Vegas Strip was a funnel cloud in the sky. Nevada hardly ever has tornados, I know of only three in the 60+ years I’ve lived here and this was the third. It was doing what every good tornado does, looking for a trailer court which it kinda found doing some damage but nothing to serious. I went on to school, taught my class, and then returned home. Josh was waiting patiently but he knew all was clear and couldn’t hardly wait to get back outside to his backyard. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/classic-smiley-11.gif

Yup, I know dogs can predict the weather. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts