Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spokanimal, a local rescue, received 14 Beagles. They happen to be just a couple of blocks away from my shop and this is what I saw. They received 14 and told me they received over 700 applications for adoptions. I think I’ll send them one and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww crap. Just out of curiosity I sent an email to Spokanimal. I know they’ve received a lot of applications but I thought I would anyways. I sent a nice email along with Buddy’s vaccine history and a lot of pictures. It only took half an hour before I received a reply asking me to stop by tomorrow and pick one out.

What did I just do? I’ll take a look but, more importantly, I need to consider what’s best for Bud. I know one of these rescues will require some time and patience but he has issues I need to deal with.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Would Buddy like a friend? Xerxes is certainly a fan of having other dogs around.

I know he has a bunch of medical stuff though. You could go by, talk to them about your concerns and if they have any dogs they think would mesh well given that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did go look at them today. Out of 16 they had 8 left. I really was so tempted but I felt it was better that I not. As I stated earlier I need to be concerned about Bud. He is what’s important now. And, as Cassie said, it would be a lot of work for me and I am dealing with a lot right now. Age wise I was told they were 6 to 8 months old. Even at that young age they all were taller than Bud. They did have four more appointments scheduled for today. I also asked why she replied so quickly to me and she said that from my email she know I would be perfect.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Those were young..you know Im a puppy survivor.. it takes at least 3yrs for them to calm down.. its a lot of work and time devoted to a young dog. Ive had some serious health issues which have been a challenge even with a dog Cassie's age..
You're wise not to be swayed but those cute faces. If anything happened to Cassie I cant take on another dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
That's a tough decision. When my first beagle was getting older and slower our vet suggested a "gentle friend" so we got an adult greyhound. A young beagle is a lot of work for sure, we have considered it too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve really only had one dog and that is Buddy. I always wanted a Beagle and I have had no regrets in getting him. He was about ten weeks old when I brought him home so I have had a tremendous impact on his personality. As a result he is a unique critter. He and I just get each other. As a result when I was looking at the rescues, eight of them, all I could do was compare them to him. I know that may not be fair but it is just the way it was. They were young and still had to “develop”. I picked Bud out of a litter. He was running around on the floor and when I picked him up there was just an instant bond. I just wasn’t able to feel it with the rescues.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the email I sent. I guess I might have overdone it a bit.

HI Dori,
I am interested in adopting one of the Beagles that you have received. I know that many people have inquired about them but I do feel that I can provide a wonderful home for one. First, I have
experience with Beagles. I
only have one pet and he is Buddy, my 12 yr old Beagle. Buddy has been with me since he was 8 weeks old and he has had a great life. He is my companion and we have had many adventures together. We’ve gone camping,
fishing, taken long walks and road trips together. Because of my experience with Buddy I am fully aware of the issues they present but it is because of these that I find them so entertaining and endearing. I own my own home
and the yard is fully fenced in. I can provide any references that may be needed. Buddy’s vet is the Garland Animal Clinic and I have given them permission to answer any questions regarding Buddy’s care. He is current on his
vaccines and I’ve included a copY of his history. I also understand that a home inspection may be necessary and will gladly provide one.

I’ve also attached several pictures of Buddy.

Thanks you for your consideration,
Mike Shelton

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
In the end the outcome is probably right for you and "The Bud"...
Cassie here...buddy should only be focusing on me..the one and only beautiful, smart, and spoiled girly. 😍
Bud...focus on this...
Dog Furniture Carnivore Chair Outdoor furniture

1 - 16 of 16 Posts