Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spock is going on half a year old now, and he's still somewhat scared of the other dogs at the dog park and only interacts with people.

We've been to a nearby dog park almost every Sunday for the past month. He's really excited to see the other dogs. When I have him on the leash and am taking him to the gate, any dogs we meet on the way, he runs up to them, then lays down on the ground and sniffs them if they don't notice him, and rolls over if they do see him. He actually peed on himself while in this rolled-over position today... :rolleyes:

However, when we're actually inside the park and I let him off his leash, he immediately rolls over on the approach of any dog and half-scared, half interested watches as other dogs sniff him and try to get him to play. Other dogs will, for a few seconds, sniff him all over, then maybe nip at him and run away, or run off and try to get him to chase them. Most of them lose interest after they realize he's going to incorporate rolling over and being submissive into all his responses.

It's not like the other dogs menace or bother him in any way. Occasionally, a dog will bark at him excitedly, but the owner is usually there to curb that behavior right away. Plus, I'm right there with him so that he knows someone is around to help him if he's in trouble. But he just won't play at all. In fact, he ran to the fence and whimpered as if to say, "Mom, let's get the #%$*?! out of here!"

I thought he would get better with time, but it's the same story every week.

My boyfriend and I are discussing getting another dog, beagle or not, or a cat as a buddy for him, though I don't know that I am ready for two puppies in the house at once (maybe I can talk him into rescuing an older, more mature shelter dog). I read in another thread (that I magically can't find now!) that a more confident creature might help Spock's socialization. That's cool! But what can I do with him in the meantime to help him with his shyness and submissiveness?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe does that when she is meeting new dogs... she lets them sniff her and after a few seconds, when she builds her confidence, she runs and play with them.
This behavior is fine, and I know she is just being submissive... I think Spock just needs a nudge in the right direction from you guys...
After he is being sniffed in this submissive position, encourage him to keep interacting with the other dogs... almost go and play with him with the other dogs around, treat him (secretly so the other dogs don't notice) so he will see it's a good thing...
Don't forget, he is only 6 months old... still a puppy... :thumbup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I see this with Marley too. They just need to build up their confidence I guess(he's 2 mths old too).

His Vet said that anxiety/shyness is a typical trait of beagles. not sure how right he is but from the many posts about it here, I guess he's right.

Marley actually ran from a little 3 month old pug the other day. This pup was a bit agressive/friendly but he is a quarter Marley's size and he could not get down the street fast enough.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
The rolling over is Spock's way of saying."I'm a puppy. you're the boss." I have one very outgoing beag, Ted(4yrs), who is a rescue and one timid beag, Phoebe(1 yr), who I have had since she was 8 weeks old. It takes Phoebe longer to relax in "public" situations than Ted. I found she gained confidence and enjoyed playing when we had one dog come to our yard to visit, or I took her to visit at another dog's house. Do you have the opportunity to let Spock interact with one dog at a time? Although Phoebe has gotten much better as she has matured, she is still clingy in situations like a dog park. I bet Spock will get better as he ages too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts