Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little 9 week old Kingsley is wearing me out! My vet has said not to take him to dog parks and the PetSmart pee station because he isnt fully vaccinated yet, but I also don’t feel great about walking him around my condo grounds freely since there are a lot of dogs here in this complex. He is potty training currently on the small strip of grass outside my condo grouping of 6, and I think only one other person in our group has a dog. It has also been raining almost nonstop here for the last few days. So, we have resorted to indoor play, and he is SO HYPER. He had a vet appointment on Thursday, and the vet said he was the cutest and most well-behaved beagle pup he has seen. And I’m yelling “That’s because we legit played tug of war with a hand towel for 2 hours before I brought him here because I didnt want him to embarrass me.“. I forgot how hard it was to have a puppy, and all this energy and nipping and yanking on the leash and biting the leash. He’s exhausting! Still, I know that a well-behaved adult beagle is one of the best pets imaginable, so I am hanging in there. In the meantime, here’s a pic of my little demon boy finally resting.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
He looks like a little angel <3 When does he get his final shots?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood. I strongly suggest you start reading everything you can about puppies if you've never had one. This is just the beginning. You can search this forum for great past helpful topics.. such as:
Potty training
Crate training
Biting/nipping
Obedience training
Leash /halter
Dog food www.dogfoodadvisor.com
Chew toys

This is the time to come to grips with the idea that beagles dont calm down until about 3 years old.
Your adorable puppy will soon go through a biting/nipping stage that lasts a few months. This is not aggressive behavior..its just a phase. Frequent naps in the crate helps. Dont play overly exciting games like tug of war which gets the puppy excited and starts the biting..and dont sit on the floor and play. If you have a small child watch the child doesnt get hurt. This phase WILL pass. Keep your dog in a restricted area so you dont have pee/poop everywhere and mischief. Beagles are not off leash dogs so have a secure yard.. they follow a scent and will run away.
Anyway heres a picture of Cassie a former biter who is as sweet as can be. Stay on the forum for advice. We're here to help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Beatrice is about 2 and a half now and she is a bundle of sunshine, rainbows, and energy. Luckily she has a buddy to run and wrestle and we make sure to play with her often so she stays well behaved. A tired beagle is a happy and good beagle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my first beagle and I'm learning so much from all of you on here. We've just finished the nipping stage and I've learned the hard way about getting him overly excited. He'll bite. So if we are going to play, we do it late afternoon outside and that gives him a chance to calm back down before coming in for the evening. But he's in to everything he can get his little mouth around. Very, very busy guy.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Awwww, he really is cute! Have you tried spraying some bitter apple on the leash or anything else he shouldn't chew? Yes Cassie is correct you can look up past subjects. Mine is 8 and I remember the crazy puppy days all too well. Hang in there it will get better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts