Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an interesting way to check if your yard has ticks. Drag a sheet around the yard and over grasses to see if ticks jump on to the sheet. Keeping grasses cut helps prevent ticks. If you get deer in your area you can assume ticks are around.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have heard of researchers doing something similar!

Ticks are a big topic here now. Since lyme is spreading north, and that disease that makes people allergic to meat is also happening here in spots. Definitely keeping grass trimmed is a bit help.

We treat the dogs with Bravecto too, it's good for fleas and ticks. Nebbers is double coated and got ticks with topical treatment so getting an oral treatment has been a big help. Icaridin is our bug treatment of choice for us. Less destructive than deet. Permethrin isn't commercially available/legal here unlike in the US.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Hubby also treats for ticks.

It's so dry now hubby won't have to mow soon :( and he will get the water thingys (technical term :D ) to fill with water around the base of our 2 trees.
techie

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have to admit, at risk of being ignorant of Oregon climate, I thought the whole state was fairly wet! Or is that a climate change thing?

Though, the northern Sonoran desert must run up through it because I've been to where it is in BC...mmmm wine! (In BC that is...Toby did Ironman Canada twice when it was still in Penticton, so we did wine tours both times)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cassie gets Advantix II topical. We have our yard sprayed q2months and our grass is cut weekly. One thing I have on hand is food grade Diatomaceous earth powder if I need something fast. I keep an eye out for critters and have a tick key if needed to remove a tick.

·
Registered
982 Posts
We have a tick key too! Not used it, but we've used a tick lasso (fun!) to remove a couple from Neb a couple of years ago. Worked really well. Ticks really are GROSS

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
I made Toby use it the first time while I shrieked 'A TICK!!!!!!' in the background. The second time I used it on my own calmly and it was easy

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Oregon is 'wetter' West of he Cascades and North. Drier to the South and East. Washington is wetter to the West and North. Drier to the East of the Cascades to the Rock Mountains. Roughly.
techie

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its raining here in SoCal. This is an unusual amount. I was going to water the garden this morning and walked out to rain! LOL. Everything is green and blooming. That means once the dry summer hits we will have a high fire danger due to so much hillside growth. Sigh...I've got my emergency supplies ready and added some items after our October evacuation. Hope its not needed.

·
Registered
982 Posts
techie, of course, the mountains would affect the climate. Duh! I'll be alright, once I gain my brain back heh

Cassie, oh dear. I hope it's not going to be another bad fire season.

We've had a very wet spring so far - lots of flooding - so it will be interesting to see what the summer holds. Been a cool spring so far but apparently it will be a hot summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts