Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caesar got stung by a wasp about 20 minutes ago. It stung right above his eye and it's all swollen but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Has this happened to anyone else's dog? Should we be worried?

PS-We adopted another dog today, but I'll save that for another post.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,083 Posts
I found this re: bee stings, may work for wasps too. If he seems to have any problems breathing or anything like that don't waste a second...take him to the vet right away!

"The first thing you should do if your dog is stung by a bee is to remove the stinger with tweezers. Stingers are usually translucent, which can make them difficult to locate if your dog is stung by a bee. You should be able to find the general area easily because there will likely be swelling around the stinger.

Once you have located the swollen area, look toward the center to locate the bee stinger. You may have to look from the side or otherwise change your viewpoint in order to find the stinger. Be sure to pull the stinger straight out when your dog is stung by a bee in order to prevent accidentally breaking off the stinger.

After you have removed the stinger, you should next apply a paste made from baking soda and water over the entire area. If you are unable to locate the stinger after your dog is stung by a bee, you should still follow this step. Applying this paste after your dog is stung by a bee will help draw out the stinger and any toxins that have been injected into your dog’s skin.

Next, you will need to relieve the swelling that results after your dog is stung by a bee. In order to do this, apply an ice pack to the area. Alternate between holding it to the sting area and removing it from your pet in order to prevent discomfort from the cold."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
I wouldn't use tweezers, as when you pinch the stingers, it will eject more venom into the dog.

use a credit card or similar plastic, and flick it off. best to go against it then with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
Bee sting? Well that is the one with the poison sack still attached & it's usually too late to remove it! A wasp or hornet can sting several times & still live! Beags & other breeds have the same tolerance/ lack...thereof as us humans do! I used to have a high tolerance to stings in my youth...but I thought I was about to die when I was stung 3 times at once on my last hvac job! Goober learned not to mess with stinging insects as well when he was a pup when he tried to eat one & got stung in the mouth! He broke out in "hives" & had an "insatiable" thirst for 3 days until a few doses of anti-histamine could help him as it cured me! When I got stung 3 times in a row I puked my "gut,s out"...but when I took some anti-histamines I could breath again & finish the job...(my lungs & esophgous) were on fire! Needless to say that was my "wake-up-call" that the hvac business "would be the death of me"!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
Somewhat related...when I got up this morning to let Spock out, I unknowingly stepped on a spider that, just before its demise, bit me on the bottom of my foot. :angry: Just what I want to do at 8am on a Sunday, google how to treat a spider bite! I guess that will teach me to start wearing shoes when I go out onto the patio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't seem to bother him at all and he's not having problems breathing. The swelling has come down a bit today. We're keeping an eye on him but I think he'll be okay. Our new dog Emma was licking it better for him.

I just remembered that when my nephew got stung by a wasp a few years ago my sister panicked and took him to a doctor. She was told that he wouldn't develope an allergy (if he got one at all) until the second sting. I wonder if dogs are the same.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,083 Posts
Glad to hear caesar is feeling better today! :thumbup:

I feel bad for all of you! I got stung by yellow jackets last year and I was miserable, but luckily didn't have an allergic reaction.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Caesar's Mom:
I just remembered that when my nephew got stung by a wasp a few years ago my sister panicked and took him to a doctor. She was told that he wouldn't develope an allergy (if he got one at all) until the second sting.
Glad Caesar is doing okay -- the advice your sister got doesn't apply in all instances. The first time I got stung by a wasp I almost died -- stopped breathing just as I got to the hospital emergency room! What I was told was that there is no way to predict a reaction -- whether it is the first time or the 20th. I do carry an epi-pen with me -- I could be fine the next ten times and then have a reaction the 11th. The severity of a reaction can be affected by where the sting is -- my first one was in a vein so all the nasty stuff went directly into my blood system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Oh dear, glad he is doing fine. That must be painful. One time Charlie came back from the yard crying, I checked through his body, saw nothing wrong. Then he just went along as if nothing has happened. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
OUCH..Eve! The sole of the foot is a very tender place to be stung! Pop had that misfortune in the 1970's! I got stung by yellow jackets in 2001 on my right hand while plumbing in a gas line for a bbq! And, (even though it can be boring @ times)...I am much happier now that I work indoors building metal office furniture! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
Lucky got stung by a bee one time. He tried to eat it...haha. His neck swole up to the size of a baseball. We gave him benedryl but he threw it up. I called the vet, they said he was fine as long as he didn't have trouble breathing or show any other signs of distress.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top