Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just joined this forum and it's amazing. My beagle Shiloh, will be 2 next month.

Wednesday night we were playing our usual hide and seek game and he walked around in a circle and whined (which he never does) and then jumped on the bed and shoved his head under the pillow. I thought he was playing and realized he was trembling all over like he was cold. The pillow was on top of his head and when I removed the pillow, he was grinding and clenching his teeth and the look in his eyes - I'll never forget it - it was pure terror. He never foamed, urinated, just shook like he was cold. He was laying on his stomach the entire time. It lasted maybe 2 minutes. This was late at night and by the time I threw my clothes on and called the emergency vet, it was over. He came around wagged his tail and started licking me. He sat on the bed for about 5 minutes then jumped down and ran and got his toy. It hasn't happened since. He has a vet appointment tomorrow morning. I still called my vet the next morning and seemed to think it wasn't a big deal. I guess because I'd never seen anything like this, it scared me to death.

Does this sound like a seizure?

Thanks so much,
Shilohs Mom

PS- On March 12 I lost my 15 year old Newfie and maybe I'm being over protective?

·
Registered
890 Posts
It sounds like a seizure to me. If it doesn't happen very much, it probably isn't much of a problem. Beagles do have epilepsy. There are several beagles on BW that have this problem. It is still a good idea to consult with your vet just so they know what is going on. Seizures can be a symptom of much worse things so it is good to check it out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes it was a seizure. But do not panic. My Gunnar is 11 and has been having these since he was about 3. He has one about 6 months they last about 15 min, when it's over he rests for a while and then he is his old self again. My vet can't give an explanation but since it is not hurting him and is not often we just deal with it when it happens. I stay close to him, talk softly and just be ready to clean up any pee or poop that might happen. If you have small children keep them back as I have noticed our boy feels very insecure around the kids because he can't move. It's best to check it out with your vet and I'm sure it won't be serious but do update us.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sounds like a seizure to me. Quite a few of our members have dogs with seizure episodes. Most are fairly minor, but it is best to keep track of them to discuss them with your Vet. Frequency and duration are important to note. They all seem to have slightly different manifestations. Drool, no drool, poop, no poop, piddling, no piddling. The one seemingly common trait is they stiffen up and shake. My Austin has minor ones. They hit him really quickly and he usually tries to get to me. I will see that he is frozen in place and shaking, I pick him up and put him someplace quiet, and dark and put a blanket tight around him. I hold him close to me and talk softly. Two to ten minutes later all is well. Sometimes he is a little subdued, but usually just ready to get back in the action. He is not on meds and his Vet keeps a close watch on him in case the pattern changes. I guess what I am trying to say is, this stuff happens, but it is not as bad as it looks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, a seizure indeed. Unless this happens again, do not worry. Although a dog may vocalize during a seizure, they are not in pain. Recovery should be rather quick after it ends.

The research I have done regarding care during a siezure indicates covering with a blanket should not be done. The reason for this is because the energy expended by a dog during a seizure is tremendous and the blanket could over heat them. Make sure the dog is comfortable, talk to him to reassure him and apply an ice pack to the middle of the back.

When the seizure ends it is important to replenish the expended energy with with quickly absorbed carbs like Bryers Vanilla Ice Cream (2 teaspoons) or some honey and water.

We have lived with an Epileptic Beagle for 4 years who has suffered seizures every month of his life since 6 months old. Thankfully, the intensity and length is less and the time between them is greater. Trust me, it is harder on you than it is on them. Hang in there.

Please read the link I pasted below. There is invaluable information for you to consider. One of the moderators here, Judymaggie pointed me to this site when Vinny was first diagnosed.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

·
Registered
605 Posts
It sounds like a seizure to me also. Shiloh is right around the age that you'll usually see the onset of epilepsy (I believe it's 18-24 months). However, I can tell you that there are some good meds out there, and a friend of mine has a beagle with epilepsy that lives a great life, and Littlejohn's is pretty frequent. But she keeps him medicated well and he's such a happy, sweet dog. He seizes maybe once a week. My old cocker spaniel started having seizures when she was in the advanced stage of Cushing's syndrome, and despite her age, she never had accidents either. And I don't think you're being overprotective; Shiloh's lucky to have you!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Dont't panic. Get the vet to check him over. Our first beagle suffered for years with these. The attacks didnt last long to start with. We found that glucose powder helped during the early stages The moment he acts strange offer a handfull of glucose powder. Later the attacks became more frequent and aged 14 our beagle had a masive one and never recovered. But that is a long way ahead. You will get medication which should help for a few years. Try not to worry too much yet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd say it was a seizure. One of our dogs, Spook, has seizures. He takes a small daily dose of phenobarbitol which has been successful in controlling the seizures. He's about 5 years old, and had his first seizure at about 2 years of age. He lives a perfectly normal doggy life with the help of his meds.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sounds like a seizure. What to do?

Take notes:
- What date/time did it occur (there may be a pattern)
- How long did it last: from onset to staring to come around
- How long until he returned to normal
- What symptoms: shaking, eyes glazed over, drooling, gnashing of teeth, loss of bladder or bowel control

Get to a Emergency Vet if:
- the episode lasts longer than 10 minutes
- the seizures come in groups or clusters
- if there is any bleeding, breathing issues, etc.

What you can do:
- <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do NOT put anything in his mouth.</span></span>
- Take notes.
- Pet him, let him smell you, talk to him, and let him know you are there. Just be careful with your hand near his mouth.
- Some have said placing an ice pack on the back of the neck helps reduce the seizure time. I don't know if it works, but it wouldn't hurt.
- Notify your vet ASAP. Pass along all your notes.

If the seizures are apart by 3 months or more, normally no meds are required to control them.

If the seizers come more frequently or more severely, then Phenobarbitol or Potassium Bromide may be prescribed.

What causes seizures?
It could be any number or combination of things. He could be prone to the due to a nervous disorder (genetics). It could be cause by a reaction to any number of household chemicals or cleaners, it could even be a reaction to a food allergy. Or any combination of the above.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the replies!!

I just dropped Shiloh off at the vet and will pick him up at 4:30, after work. The vet IS NOT going to do a blood panel because he thinks it was gas. I don't think it was; but he said if it happens again, take notes and call him.

I love this forum. I'll be reading while my boss is out!!

Thanks again,
Shilohs Mom

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Welcome to the group!! I haven't been to BW for a few days, and didn't know we had another Shiloh on board!! The more the merrier!! It does sound to me like your Shiloh had a little seizure. Your description sounds very like the way our little poodle Misty acted when she had a seizure. She would sit still as a stone and stare and tremble all over. This didn't happen very often, maybe twice a month that we were aware of. Our vet recommended against giving her any medication unless the seizures became more frequent, which they never did. I hope your Shiloh's seizures remain just as mild. By the way, Misty lived to age 20, so the seizures didn't affect her longevity at all. And the last few years she was seizure-free.

My condolences on the loss of your Newfie!! They are beautiful dogs--look like great big teddy bears!
Do you have any pictures of your Shiloh? You're right--they steal your heart. Like you I've had dogs all my life, but this is my first beagle. And she has me completely wrapped around her little paw!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.