Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone here has an in-ground pool, at the very minimum PLEASE KEEP IT COVERED! The best thing I feel, is keep it fenced and gated and the dog in the house unless you are there to supervise.

This is a lesson learned the hard-way and I am so glad it was not me. My co-worker and office mate just found out that when the company was at her home this morning to clean their pool, they found her dog – in the pool and it had apparently drowned. This dog was an indoor-outdoor dog – they did not keep her in all the time. They also did not keep the pool covered because “the dog wouldn’t go near it – she skirts the whole area of the pool.” Well, something happened. Ok – maybe I sound a little heartless but a careless act like this – is so preventable. And some may say that they didn’t want to bother with the cover or they couldn’t afford one at the time – if they can afford an in-ground pool with the usual maintenance then they ought to be able to afford the cover. And now she has to explain this to her 3 small kids. And now there is another little Westie angel at the Rainbow Bridge. So terribly sad.

Dogs and swimming pools don't mix UNLESS there is supervision by an adult - just like with kids and pools.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That's so sad! My boyfriend and I have a now-defunct hot tub in the back yard (the heater quit working sometime last summer, and we're considering getting rid of it). The dogs have savaged the cover, but I'd rather have it there for their safety. I found a drowned rat in the shallow water that has accumulated there one day after the dogs had jostled the cover enough for part of the tub to be open.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is so sad. My mother had a co worker who had this happen to her a few years back. She had two labs who had gone in the pool together (they assume) when they found the dogs at the bottom of the pool their collars were hooked together.

My parents also lost their red doxie this way last summer. Kate was old, blind and not feeling well and my mom had come home early from her night shift at work and let her out and then sat on the couch to wait for her to scratch to come back in but dozed off and woke up realizing Kate had not come back to the door. Kate had been around this pool all her life and knew right where it was but it just goes to show accidents do happen and you can never be to sure! We assume our dogs can swim to the steps and just get out but you just never know!

My parents now have a gate for grandchildren and dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
In the township where I live all pools either in or above ground need to be fenced for safety for animals and children. I guess this is a very good ordinance to have every where. So sorry to hear this had happened.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it turns out they don't even have a fenced yard - they allowed the poor baby to roam (thank goodness she was spayed). Some neighbors nearby have a pond with snakes in it - they think the dog may have got bit then in her disorientation to get home, she fell in the pool. (Sounds like a possible story they made up in order to not feel so guilty about the whole situation - if they had a fence around the yard or kept a closer eye on the dog, this wouldn't have happened)

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
So sad...

We don't have a cover for our pool, but Maggie and Spinelli are not allowed in the backyard unless someone is out there with them. Maggie has fallen in a couple of times but we were there to quickly scoop her out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's how I lost my 15-1/2 yr old Cocker Spaniel 4 years ago. He was old, going blind and could barely walk and normally wouldn't go near the pool, only onto the pool deck. We think he either tried to get a drink and tumbled in or just didn't see where he was walking. We're making sure we don't have a repeat occurance so we're putting a screen on the deck gate so Charlee can't get to the deck when we're not out back with him.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It is not true that all dogs can swim. IN fact most dogs don't know how. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. So many people we see with dogs in the boats, no life jackets, dogs in the back of pick up trucks...standing on a tool box...Do these people not think. I had a truck stop suddenly infront of me on afternoon, and the dog in the back of the truck, slid off the box onto my hood. Thankfully not hurt, yet, it could have been a horrible ending had it gone the other way.

Pools covered, dogs in cabs of vehicles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree Cathy. I hate driving behind people on the freeway with their dogs in the back of their trucks. I am curious to know what these people think will happen to their dogs if they crash?? Our dogs always ride inside and not allowed to stick their faces out the window.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
thats so sad, if you have a dog that can't swim there should have been precautions taken. ourpool has a babygate and is completely fenced but luckily all the dogs we've had have been great swimmers on the off chance they are able to get over there. How terrible to have to explain what happened to those poor little kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts