Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hailey is about to 3 months now, and I really want to start exercising her, not only for her health but to tire her out for napping/sleeping.

I've been walking her around the block (maybe like 1/4 mile) about 3-4 times per day starting about three days ago and today I figured we'd jog it. Like with the walking, she started out right next to me, but about 3/4 of the way through she stopped abruptly. I thought she may have to relieve herself again (she pooed and peed twice before we left) however she just stood there looking up at me. I figured this meant she was done, however she still had enough energy back home to do a little fetch inside the living room.

What I'm wondering is if all the walking/running is bad for her. Like on her paw/pads or her legs, etc etc. She seems to have the energy to do it all, yet didn't want to.

BTW, we mostly walk/run on the sidewalk...

·
Registered
220 Posts
She's only 3 months that means she is still a baby. I think it's way to early to start walking with her. You should wait for (at least) another 3 months to begin with.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
3 months is WAY to young. You can walk her all you want (within reason) to tire her out, and play with her in a back yard or park.
Talking to some experienced dog people, and 2 vets, you shouldn't start running with her until she is 1.5 years old. Her bones need to mature and she has to be fully grown before that. This is the main reason.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've heard and read the same regarding running too early with your pups. Although walking like you've had was definitely a great decision to get her better acclimated to walking with a lead and with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll wait on the running. She does like walking around, but i think that's more because she thinks she'll run into more people/pets away from our own yard...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts