Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some opinions Is it a bad Idea to walk Chewy a two month pup on a trail?? we live a few miles away from a trail were there's occasional wild life sightings(cayotes, mountain Lions, rattlesnakes) or should I wait a few more month's Im a new beagle owner so I would love to get feedback from experienced beagle owner's, thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i assume he would be leashed. there for, no prob. expect to carry him most of the way. 2 month old pup is going to tire out quickly. like 1 mile tops. probably less.
off leash would be risky for just losing him, let alone predators.
the snakes are probly the worst, coyotes and mountain lions preffer to work at night.
although i have been pushed back by a cougar during the middle of the day....

we took ours on some hikes, i had a back pack big enough to put them in if they got tired. carried water, etc.
I think the some of the fun in having pets is experiencing the whole world together, like seeing a beagle walk right past a beautiful waterfall and hone in on a pile of elk poop.
they see with their noses. and who can account for their taste?
H.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would take my puppy, but don't make it too far unless you want to carry him.

I think exercise off leash is best for a puppy that way they can tell you when they are tired. I wouldn't push it too far or long with a 2 mth. old pup.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I know nothing about puppies but I would advise taking Chewy to Snake Avoidance Class once he is old enough to be around other dogs and take him to refresher classes if you walk him where he has any chance of encountering a venomous snake. I was going to say, as long as Chewy is on a leash, you don't to worry about cougars and coyotes BUT your California cats ain't been hunted in several generations and some are starting to think peoples is prey so a beagle could be considered a snack! I'd carry a walking stick! I believe, the real threats in walking trails are not wildlife other than a beagles natural instinct to sniff snakes which can be remedied with Snake Avoidance Class, expensive and not always successful inoculations, and very expensive and not always successful mad dashes to emergency veterinary services after the fact. The only real hazard might be in specific areas; Lyme disease from deer ticks, outbreaks or rabies, bubonic plague from infestations, things that if present in an area should be well posted and known. A puppy does need to get all his shots before he mingles with other dogs and critters, things like Parvo come to mind but I’m not a puppy expert, all my dogs have been adult rescues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's for the great Info, I'll look into snake avoidance class since alot of the trail regular's do spot Rattle snake's every now and then I'll take him tommarow for a short walk out there but I think I'll just settle with dog park until he get's a little older.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I started Murphy at just over 8 weeks with a 3/4 mile walk 3-4 times a week (to the end of our road and back). That quicky grew to 1.5 miles at 12 weeks (end of the pavement) and by 4-5 months we were doing 5+ miles a day 5-6 days a week down at the trail.

He's now almost 7 months and both he and I are disappointed if the weather stops us from our daily walks. We try to average 20-25 miles per week, more if weather and time permit. About half is done on roads around home (paved and gravel) and half is done at the trail.

I looked back (I keep a spreadsheet of our distance) and since we've been walking together we've logged over 260 miles so far this year. Not too bad for a not quite 7 month old pup and an old guy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would never, ever take a 2 month old puppy to a dog park! Dog parks are breeding grounds for disease. He does not have all of his vaccines and his immune system is not the same as an adult. I am not one to over vaccinate, but also do not take that unnecessary risk. I would rather take my chances on a nature trail than a nasty dog park.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Originally Posted By: TwoLuI would never, ever take a 2 month old puppy to a dog park! Dog parks are breeding grounds for disease. He does not have all of his vaccines and his immune system is not the same as an adult. I am not one to over vaccinate, but also do not take that unnecessary risk. I would rather take my chances on a nature trail than a nasty dog park.
I tend to agree, it would be much safer to wait until you pup has had all of it's shots before going to a dog park. I think Maggie completed her vaccinations somewhere around 4-5 months old, and even then, we waited another month or so before taking her to the dog park. Early socialization is important, but until he receives his final puppy vaccination, it would be much better if you only let Chewy play with dogs that you know are up to date on their shots and are not sick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts