Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Boomer is going through a stage lately that when I put his bowl down he looks and turns away. How un-beaglelike! We have been feeding Canidae for awhile now (almost a year) and this behavior started about a month ago. In that month we switched over from the regular formula to lamb and rice and I thought that might get him interested again but no. The only other change is that we started adding pineapple to their food because we have one poop eater and I saw on It's me or the dog that pineapple might discourage her. He will eat if I start hand feeding him a few kibbles and then put the bowl down, and he eats it all then including the pineapple. I thought maybe it was his teeth, but he eagerly eats everything else offered to him. Any suggestions on how to tempt him?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hmmm....the times Duke went through this stage as a pup, I would add broth to the food to entice him, or a bit of canned food. But I do think they sometimes get bored with the same food after a while. I know Duke used to love Nature's Recipe, but after a while he tired of it and we switched to Canidae.

Pineapple to discourage poop eating? That sounds really interesting, does it work? Because if so, I will have to stock up on some pineapple!

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two also have been disinterested in there food lately. They were on Pro-plan reduced calorie, then I tried Sensible Choice reduced caolorie, but still not interested. I've added water and I get a look like Mom were not babies and they won't eat it. So now I'm down to adding a teaspoon of wet food or pumpkin to there food and mushing it all around. Now they will eat it.
I wish I could just leave it down and hove them eat at will, but our boy **** is like a hoover vacumm cleaner and waits until they walk away and swoops in for the kill....

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've also heard of the pineapple, but try a sprinkle of adolfs meat tenderizer or I'm sure any meat tenderizer on the top of the food and it has the same effect as pineapple.. I've actually tried it and it worked.

And M2b, mine are also spoiled, they love pumpkin..

·
Registered
959 Posts
We go through that every now and again. Can't seem to pin it on any one thing that happens, but sometimes Cobi just isn't hungry. This is my pup with the voracious appetite. We've tried treats, carrots, never heard of pineapple but will put that in my bag of tricks.

Our vet told us that beagles will never purposely starve themselves to the point of danger IF food is left for them, or offered periodically during the day. Eventually they will eat.
Perhaps the more we give them treats, like pineapple, cookies, etc the less they want their kibble? who knows what the reason is, just keep his food available though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He doesn't get a lot of treats. I am not giving him that much pineapple, either 2 chunks or a tablespoon of crushed, both in juice. I will have to try the adolphs - I think maybe the acidy-ness of the pineapple bothers him.

I have to watch closely because if he walks away, there are three other dogs poised to swoop in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts