Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most mornings, Regal and I take a short 10-15 minute walk before I leave for the day (sometimes we just run around the yard together). Each night he gets about a 30 minute walk and on weekends they can be up to one hour.

Now being a beagle, he gets to stop and smell the roses and I'm sure you're all too familiar with the fact that we don't keep a rapid pace!

I was just reading a topic on another Pet forum about walking puppies and a poster responded that for puppies its better to play to use energy so they don't overwork their growing bones/muscles?

Am I damaging him with all of these walks??

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you are, my sophie is in a heap of trouble. we go out for about 20 min or more every 2 or 3 hours. we also play fetch in the long carpeted hallway of my bldg a few times a day. she only has 3 speeds -
full throttle, chew, and sleep. hahahaha

i can't imagine it being unhealthy to excersize your pet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband said i read too much - and he might be right in this case! I did go back and there was a mention of this for large breed dogs...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think they're probably referring to long walk at an early age. When Bodie was 8 weeks old we only walked him around our cul-de-sac. This was because we didn't want to expose him to other areas until all his shots were done.

Once the shots were done we started to increase our walking distance. Initially it was only a couple of blocks. And then we would increase it a little at a time. On weekends we would take Bodie on longer walks (1-2 miles) which might take as long as an hour. But that's largely because of the frequent stops and potty breaks. Which is an important factor to consider.

If you were walking non-stop and keeping a brisk pace that would probably be bad. But because our walks are more leisurely and with frequent stops he shows no signs of fatigue when we get home. In fact, sometimes we'll take him to visit his girlfriend Patches for play time. Only then is he beat and ready to crash.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie

If you were walking non-stop and keeping a brisk pace that would probably be bad.
is that even possible?

i call sophie sniffy snifferton sometimes because our 20 minute walk sometimes only goes to the corner and back.
she once sniffed the same spot (a sign post) for 4 or 5 minutes!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't think with a beagle there is non-stop walking. All you usually do is walk, jerk arm, stop.

I don't think you'll injury your pup...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: DaisysMomA leisurely walk won't hurt them, but you don't want to take them running when they are pups
Daisys mom is correct. Walking will not hurt the puppy. You just want to wait until they are about a year of age before taking them on runs with you. The funny thing is that there is no way I can keep them from running when they are in the back yard and they do NasDog races every evening back there. lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The walk is as important to the Beagle as a good fralick in the backyard is. Beags are scent hounds and they need to be able use that nose of their's. My opinion, that is when a Beagle is the happiest. Just like us humans, the mind and body must get plenty of exercise in order for harmony to exist. Gotta go now and think about working out

·
Registered
837 Posts
How old is the puppy?

I kept walks to a maximum 15-20 minutes until Daisy was 6 months old.

Smaller breeds develop faster than larger breeds, so if you had a lab or golden you would want to wait until 12 months until you were doing lots of walks with them. Beagles aren't so bad because they are generally a smaller dog and finish growing sooner.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, it sounds to me like the article is just advising caution. Some people go out and buy a puppy like it's an exercise machine. Like an avid runner purchasing a Lab puppy and expecting it to join in on their daily 5 mile jogs. Of course, that would be detrimental. But as you're not pushing your pup or being a fanatic about exercise, I'd say you're safe. And Brien made a good point about slowly increasing the distance and fitness. How old is Regal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts