Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as you already know, Gino has been with us one day short of a week now. His walking habits are much different than my beags. This can be attributed to two things, his age, and the fact that he is part basset. I am seeing he has more basset tendencies (stubborness, laziness, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE his bassetness but am just curious about the walks.

I walk at a relatively brisk pace. Gino is capable and does keep up when he wants to, but most of the time he puts on the brakes and where my beagles would tend to race forward, Gino stops short and falls back. When I take him out with Roscoe I've got one arm forward and one arm behind. He is strong too! I don't mind so much when I just take him by himself.

Bagel/Basset owners....any advice???

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Saw the title to your thread and thought hmmmm. Do you use collars or harnesses? They make splitter like devices so you have one leash down to the splitter and then two leads to the dogs! If they have harnesses, the dogs will soon work it out!

Bt the way, when I walk my Bagel (all 28 lbs of beagle) he is almost always at the end of the lead but that almost as often behind me as it is ahead of me and the lead is 35 foot long! Seems I like to walk at a steady pace, he is either way ahead following his nose until it is engaged, then plants his feet and thinks I should wait...and wait...and wait... Silly Bagel, 11+ years and he still hasn't got me properly trained!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
My husband grew up with bassets and that was the first thing he noticed when we got our first beagle - each stop for a urinalysis or other activity that takes maybe 20 seconds with a beagle takes 2-5 minutes with a basset... so he was quite excited that walking a beagle was so much quicker than walking a basset. Don't know that I have advice - just confirmation that there can be a difference in speed.

That being said, Booker the beagle is SOOOOOOO stubborn when we are walking so it isn't just a beagle versus basset thing. If we are going in a direction she doesn't want to go, you would think she was 200 and clearly on her last legs, judging by the slow plodding walk she puts on - but then just slightly divert your direction so that she realizes you are heading towards the pet store or the park, and suddenly she has a spring in her step and is racing ahead with her tail and head held high, leading the pack. She is such a character!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.