Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Vomiting a common reaction in a food transition?

This morning I mixed in only I'd say 6 pieces of the new food in with his old food, this afternoon there were probably more like 10 or so... he he eats 2/3 a cup 2x's a day I was going to do a slow transition through the week, but I am quickly running out of the "mystery" purina in the "clear" plastic bag so I gotta make this transition happen.

He did not vomit this morning, but after eating this evening after the "10" pieces or so were put in he did Vomit 2x's ... maybe a coincidence... maybe it was 4 pieces too many...

advice would be appreciated... I am also slowly decreasing the amount of canned food that is going in with his dry to wean him off of that as well, because I would rather him be on a completely dry food diet... I tried "cold turkey" and not giving him any canned food this morning and he pushed the food around with his nose and looked at me... I figured since I just got the boy eating I had better put some in there, so instead of 1/3 a can like he is used to, I just put a spoonfull in, that worked and he gobbled it up....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If the food you're using is richer it could be upsetting his tummy. I wonder if it's not stress from his big move that could be causing his tummy to be upset. Or, it could be since he didn't eat for a few days his belly isn't up to too much food. I know that Jersey sometimes gets sick if she skips a meal and then eats too quickly at the next one. Just some ideas. I hope that Blackjack is feeling better soon! Give him some extra belly rubs and Beagle kisses from me and Jersey.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie has not had trouble switching between foods but I have learned from another group that I belong to that if you are transitioning from a food with a high grain content (which most purina is) to a food with a higher meat content and less grain it can take up to a couple of weeks to complete the transition. Since he didn't eat for a few days his tummy is probably extra sensitive.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UGH... Well, I've stopped the new food, The poor guys tummy is all a mess at this point I think, with the 2.5 days of no eating, before he was vomiting water and bile when his tummy was empty after a walk, now he is still doing that if he takes in too much water after a walk so I have to make sure to give him just a little at a time and he is still vomiting up his food, even after I stopped competely giving him a little bit of the new food in with his old food... so that certianly wasn't it. ;( It's just that his tummy is a mess... I tried just a small meal... no, that came up in his crate while we were gone for the 4th.

Scary thing is... his 'mystery food' is quickly running out... so I need to do this transition. But his tummy is clearly all messed up from the days of not eating...

Any advise on what I can do?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You might try giving him some Pepto Bismol. I've used it for several dogs, and it usually helps. It's much easier to give the tablets than the liquid, but if you have a syringe and someone to help, giving liquid is doable. You probably will have pink all over Blackjack and his surroundings. :eyes:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Is Blackjack o.k. otherwise? Have you asked his previous owners the name of his food? If you can find the original food,that he is used to, maybe it would be better to feed him that until he has settled in with you. It could be the journey, change of family and change of food is just too much. If it continues though, then a trip to the vet is a must.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Give him a bland diet like pasta and chicken or rice and egg for a couple of days you could also add some live yoghurt to help his good digesting bacteria, then slowly try to add his new food and build up the amount you give him each day.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Is Blackjack o.k. otherwise? Have you asked his previous owners the name of his food? If you can find the original food,that he is used to, maybe it would be better to feed him that until he has settled in with you. It could be the journey, change of family and change of food is just too much. If it continues though, then a trip to the vet is a must.
Oh yes, otherwise he is just fine, he is active & plays, bright eyed and beaglie. Pulls like crazy on walks and bays and AROOS! just as actively as day#1 when he catches that scent or sees that bunny. Only the food is the issue. Thus since he has been here has only pooped 3 times because of all the vomiting, poor guy.

Definately if I do not get him eating soon, a trip to the vet will be necessary.

I have tried e-mailing the past owners, to Thank them for taking such great care of such a wonderful dog and to thank them for him etc, also to ask them for the name of the previous dog food, they have not responded to me...??? I do not understand. Maybe they are out of town? I do not know. I no longer have their phone number as it was stored in my cellphone and I deleted it after we picked up Blackjack...

I feel if he had an eating problem they would have told us so, as they told us about all the sores on his underside (from being in his crate so long from their frequent trips to the hospital for their premature baby, thus their reasoning for finding that it being in his best interest to find him a new home). So they are legitimately caring people, ... they have a special needs newborn... so they can't be out of town... so I really can't say why they have not answered my e-mail that I sent a few days ago... perhaps I should send another...

Of Course... I did mention that The "mystery food" I game him just that yesterday with no new food mixed in. And he still DID vomit. So I don't thing anything matters at this point. Poor guy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Made him some egg with cooked rice as I had that on hand, he gobbled that up. We'll see if he keeps that down, I really hope so, I'll know in the first 15 mins or so.

I have my husband picking up chicken breasts and plain yogurt in his way home.

Thank you all so much for your advise.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The other thing that someone suggested to me was canned pumpkin for an upset stomach. How about trying to break his two feedings into four smaller ones for a few days, like with a child when they've been sick. Maybe he could tolerate a little less food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Louri,

If you give him liquid Pepto Bismol, give him the dosage recommended for a child. If you can get it down him, it might coat his tummy.

If you know the name and address of the previous owners, you could do a phone directory lookup on the web and probably get their phone number.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, he digested the eggs & rice all the way through :thumbup: we'll be back on track... Then I'll be putting his new food (Nature's Recipe - Lamb & Rice) in a lil' bit at a time. after a few days. :heart:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
When I have fostered beagles, it always takes time for the digestive system to settle down.

Sounds like you're on your way..... :thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Honestly...

If the vomiting does not stop ASAP I'd take him to the vet because you might be doing more damage switching him around on these home remedy diets. I think it'd be more worth your time to rule out parasites and get him on a prescription diet that will regulate his system (see: hills i/d, royal canin low fat... bland).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually today he has done well actually with the bland diet with the egg & rice/yogurt etc and is holding it down and digesting it.

It makes sence he went 2.5 days without eating when he got here from his old home where he was eating and was doing fine and was in good health. Then to go that long w/o eating then to go to full blown eating, like he did, he thew up his meals, which messed up his tummy which thew off his digestive tract. I'm understanding what's athand here & did some online research as well as taking advise on the board here. Which is great advise.

Certianly if he hadn't of held down the bland diet & yogurt a vet visit would be in order. He seems to be on track, I will follow this diet, try some chicken, in a few days begin some of the new food a little bit at a time until we are all on the new food and hopefully we will be 100% :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts