Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle pup has been throwing up once a day since Thursday. I am really worried. It's like yellow in color. He is passing his regular stool & eating, drinking & playing like normal. Is this normal in puppies ? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think it's normal. Call your vet. You might not need to bring him in, they might be able to give you advice over the phone. Since your pup is still playing, eating etc...he's probably okay. But call just in case. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Agreed. It's probably nothing serious, but it's worth a call to your vet to find out. Let us know what happens. How old is your pup?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok .. we just got back and the Vet couldn't figure out what could be wrong. He was hyper and happy as ever.He did have a running temp of 102. She set us home w/ anti nausea meds & a stomach lining meds to take before he eats his food. They said if he does not improve in 5 days then he will need a an ex-ray & some bloodwork which comes to like $250-. So we will see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Jenny!

Our almost 3 year old beagle has been going through the same thing. We have been switching over his food (mixing the new and the old together) and thought this might be contributing to the upset stomach. Have you kept your pup on the same food?

We were also worried about Wyatt and took him into the vet. She suggested it might actually be some acid reflux and suggested giving Wyatt a 10mg tablet of Pepcid AC to help calm his stomach. We haven't tried the Pepcid yet, but we have tried feeding Wyatt at 6:00 pm (about his normal dinner time) and then a snack of dog food about an hour before bed. Wyatt hasn't vomited (crossing my fingers) since last Friday. I hope this helps!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Amy and Wyatt

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Amy!

My puppy has always been eating Science Diet for puppies. I give him the same treats also. He did have some vaccinations last Thursday and the Vet said it may be a reaction. :thinker: . I am just super worried about him. He threw up twice today.

Mizu eats at 520 am & then 520 pm. I give him treats in the evening. I hope he stops vomitting and gets better real soon. I'm just scared about the whole Parvo thing and all these recalls on Pet food.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jenny,

I'm so sorry you and Mizu are going through this! Our vet did Wyatt's bloodwork and it all came back okay. You might want to give them a call and ask about the Pepcid, perhaps it is just an upset tummy. It sounds like Mizu is throwing up bile, like Wyatt was. I don't know, it's just a thought.

Give Mizu lots of hugs and kisses from us and I hope he feels better soon!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Amy and Wyatt

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awwww thanks!

I am starting to wonder if it is his treats that are making him sick. He drank some water a while ago and he sounded like he was choking. Could it be from his Collar ? Like what I mean is he pulls on it. When I walk him he will pull at times. Well most of the time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's pollen! Does your Beag eat grass? If so then it is the pollen. This is the time of year that this happens, with the new grass and the high pollen.
My Beag Spencer vomits from eating grass and my other 2 labs do to! It is a yellow clear color.
Many pet owners are going through this right now. Just recently my Mom called me in a panic about her Rottie throwing up and she is a BIG grass eater. She was worried since she recently loss her other Rottie to the food recall. Her Rottie is just fine, she did bring her into the vet and did a full panel blood work to make sure but she is healthy as a horse.
Just watch to see if your Beag is eating grass and if so it is probably caused by the pollen!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My first dog Lilly used to eat a lot of grass then the next day she would throw up in the morning and it would just be yellow bile with little bits of grass in it so it could be that.

It's been a while since I had a puppy but I think that at 13 weeks I used to divide the daily food ration into 3 meals rather than just 2. That way puppies stomach hasn't got a huge load of food to try and digest all in one go. Just a thought.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When all else fails with Spencer I give him a small piece of dry toast and it settles the tummy.
If you vaccinated your pup then Parvo should not be an issue.
If you vet did a full blood panel on your pup the other day then I would rule out the recall issue. They would of seen issues with the liver if that was the case.
It is probably the pollen or something else he is eating! You never know with these Beagle Puppies! Spencer used to eat ROCKS! not to mention anything that nose would sniff up!
I hope everything is okay.
Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OH NO!!!!!!! Mizu has diarrhea now and feels warm. I don't get it. He seems happy as ever. I just got off the phone w/ the vet and he said since he is ont throwing up anymore to STOP the medication (carafate & reglan) and see how he does. I'm scared as ever right now even after speaking to his Vet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
228 Posts
is it liquid or chunky? I know this sounds gross. Did you research the meds he is on? I would right away and see if this is a side affect of the meds.
Is he still vomitting?
If not I think it is probably the meds.
How is his activity level?
Did you check his temp? Do a rectal temp!
I would hold off on any foods, give some kayopectate, this is the safest antidiarhea medicine. Only give a tiny bit. Since he is so young I would give rice and possibly some ground beef but make sure you get all the grease off before feeding it to him.
I hope he is okay....
Please let us know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

His stool earlier today was normal. So I gave him his meds & fed him. 30 min later he passed this watery tan colored stool (like pudding). I looked at for blood and there was none. He ran back in the house to play and he is napping now. Is't diarrhea a sign for parvo along w/ a fever ????!?!?!?! The vet said to call in a few days if he still has diarrhea.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I really do not think it is Parvo. He would be very very sick and very tired. He would not eat or drink.
Did you vaccinate him?
I think it is the meds you gave him for the vomitting. If he is not vomitting anymore I would stop all meds and back off on any puppy food and start rice and ground beef for meal time. Kayopectate would help but it is not necessary just yet.
I do not think it is Parvo. Your pup would be very very sick for it to be Parvo.
Spencer has had the pudding poop before and I just gave Rice and Ground Beef and by the next day he was normal again.
Dont panic. If he is happy, playful and eating and drinking I think all should be okay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts