Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just uploaded a video of Daisy my 12 month old beagle baby practicing obedience and thought I would share it with you.

We are very much amateurs but we both love doing obedience and hope to trial one day (probably very far away in the future!! LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM_O9HJzhV0

Daisy mucked up a bit in her heel work and her down was on a bit of an angle but we'll get there eventually /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
187 Posts
*ENCORE* Bravo! Great work! I believe that was sit, down/settle, stay/wait. Derby can do sit, stay, jump, leave it, drop it, and look. How did you get her to follow you around like that? I wanna teach my dugs that.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:Originally posted by doggonit:
*ENCORE* Bravo! Great work! I believe that was sit, down/settle, stay/wait. Derby can do sit, stay, jump, leave it, drop it, and look. How did you get her to follow you around like that? I wanna teach my dugs that.
Thank you!

We go to obedience club every week. You're right, except I call them down/stays and sit/stays /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

When she follows me around it is called heel. Heel is a position you teach your dog to be in - start by getting your dog to sit on your left with its nose in line with your leg (as daisy was in the video). Step off on your LEFT foot - this is a signal to your dog to follow you, when you do stays you step off on your right leg and that is a signal to stay. Call the dog to "heel" in a happy light voice.

When I first taught Daisy heel as a puppy I would get a really yummy treat and lure her into the right position. I would use the treat to get her focus on me so she was looking up at me and not sniffing. This is how I taught her heel, once she understood I took the treat away so I wasn't luring her. I still made sure I gave her a treat every time she was in the right position.

Every time you stop the dog should sit down. This is called automatic sitting. When you stop, make sure that the dog is in the heel position and say sit, then give the dog a treat.

Gradually wean them off the treat so that you don't need to lure them into the right position and start giving the treat only once they have sat. Try and get them to sit without the command.

Hope that is clear if you have any more questions ask away /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haha, I love the look on her face when you walk off.. It's like "oh, your going over there.. I'll just sit here and look at the walls.. no wait.. there's a sniff over there, I wonder *sniff sniff* what it is.. oh hi, your back!"

Very cute Daisy! How the hell do you get her to stay there and walk off. I think we need to go to obedience training! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:Originally posted by Erin & Andrew:
Haha, I love the look on her face when you walk off.. It's like "oh, your going over there.. I'll just sit here and look at the walls.. no wait.. there's a sniff over there, I wonder *sniff sniff* what it is.. oh hi, your back!"

Very cute Daisy! How the hell do you get her to stay there and walk off. I think we need to go to obedience training! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
LOL erin!

All you have to do is teach them what stay means. Gradually over time you can increase the distance (remember, time before distance!).

To teach very basic stay, put your dog in the heel position. Say "stay" and put your hand in front of their face in a stop sign. Using your right foot, swivel directly in front of the dog so its nose is almost touching your legs. This means the dog has no where to go - the dog MUST succeed because it can't fail (if that makes sense). For the first few times, only do this for a few seconds before swivelling back so the dog is again at your heel. BIG praise and reward the dog for staying.

And as a said gradually increase the time the dog can remain in the stay before increasing the distance you can move away from it.

ETA: If the dog moves from its position during the stay quickly put it back in front of you and say "STAY"

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow. the Bagel and I are impressed. He has the sit, stay and back commands down real well. Sit means sit, stay means stay with a pout on his face and back means get out of the way. Those are the only commands he knows off-lead. If I want him to heel, I need a leash, and to first have him sit off my left leg. I then give him the command heal and he polite walks as Daisy does, although the first time I stop, a refresher sit is usually needed. I'm sure, without the leash, the Bagel would not heal. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Fortunately for the Bagel, polite walks are few and far between, sniff adventures on a long lead are 99% of the time. Way to go Daisy :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
WOW....Bravo DaiseyGracie and I are in our fourth week of obedience training.

I am jealopus. I hope we look like that some day.

Mary

·
Registered
36 Posts
WOW....Bravo Daisey. Gracie and I are in our fourth week of obedience training.

I am jealous. I hope we look like that some day.

Mary

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Erin & Andrew:

The Bagel associates 'stay' with he can come with me and while he will stay, he puts on his best disappointed pout whenever I tell him stay. That is typcially at a gas station where stay means in the vehicle or at home which means I leaving the room (taking something outside the house or fetching something heavy where I don't want him underfoot). I've never tried to see how far I can leave as long as he can see me, he stays where I tell him but when I close the door (car or room) behind me I give him maybe 3
seconds before he is at the door waiting with his sad 'you left me' look! I know he will stay for over 30 seconds and at a distance of about 20 feet. That is a enough for me.

He learned the command 'up' when I want him on the bed, in the car, on a chair.

He learned a command 'paws' because he used to meet new people by standing on his hind legs and reaching out and touching them with his front paws. I would say watch your paws and make hiom sit if he reached out and touched someone. It got shortened to paws and he still dances on his hind legs but now doesn't reach out and touch UNLESS encouraged by the person and released by an OK from me.

My friends have taught him to beg, shake hands, and 'give kisses' /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif These are not tricks I would have ever taught him!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bob:
Wow. the Bagel and I are impressed. He has the sit, stay and back commands down real well. Sit means sit, stay means stay with a pout on his face and back means get out of the way. Those are the only commands he knows off-lead. If I want him to heel, I need a leash, and to first have him sit off my left leg. I then give him the command heal and he polite walks as Daisy does, although the first time I stop, a refresher sit is usually needed. I'm sure, without the leash, the Bagel would not heal. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Fortunately for the Bagel, polite walks are few and far between, sniff adventures on a long lead are 99% of the time. Way to go Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I love watching Daisy go through her obedience steps -- it obviously takes a lot of patience on your part. Kudos to you! I am working on teaching Maggie not to bark at me the entire time I am getting her dinner ready -- yeah, right! She will sit down with a hand signal and will momentarily stop her barking with another hand signal but that lasts about 3 seconds ... I'm not too upset since at least she is showing interest in eating (long story, Smeagle ...)! :thumbup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a question re: the treat. How do you get Daisy to concentrate on what you want her to do and not anticipate the treat? Brie will do anything I ask...once. Once she gets the treat and I try to repeat the command she jumps all over trying to get at the treat and refuses to do as I ask. Of course, if she doesn't heed the command, she doesn't get the treat, but this doesn't seem to bother her. She just walks off. She will be 5 months old on the 28th. Is it possible that she is too young yet?

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie

·
Registered
448 Posts
I went and watched your other vids too-- all of them are great. I wish I could figure out how to do youtube videos. My hubby is addicted to them! If its not ebay its youtube! sighs
But your beagle is great and that is a funny story of how the evil beagle came to be..]
Judi and the crew

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:Originally posted by Lora&Tippi:
I have a question re: the treat. How do you get Daisy to concentrate on what you want her to do and not anticipate the treat? Brie will do anything I ask...once. Once she gets the treat and I try to repeat the command she jumps all over trying to get at the treat and refuses to do as I ask. Of course, if she doesn't heed the command, she doesn't get the treat, but this doesn't seem to bother her. She just walks off. She will be 5 months old on the 28th. Is it possible that she is too young yet?

Lora&Tippi...and now Brie
No dog is ever too young for training! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

At this age I would not be doing more than 5-10 minutes of training in one go because the attention span really isn't there. In terms of treats, remember that they are a reward only and that it is important once the dog learns and understands a command not to treat every time. As you can see in the video of Daisy, she doesn't get a treat every time she obeys a command so she can't anticipate when I will give it to her.

Maybe show Brie that you have a treat in your hand, and give her a command. Give her praise when she completes it but do not give her the treat. Repeat this two more times and give her the treat on the third command. Do this every time you train - I find that when I am teaching a new command I treat every time the dog gets it right but once they know the command well I only give a treat on every third or more commands.

Daisy will do a series of commands, like in the video, with only a treat at the end. If she knew she would get only one treat and I gave it to her at the start the same motivation would not be there - if that makes sense. I treated her for her stand because she has not got it 100% so it was important to praise when she got it right. The same with the stays.

I also make sure that I use something very high value when training - something that is not a normal treat. When we are at obedience training I use steamed chicken or kabana in tiny pieces. This is the only time I use chicken or kabana because it needs to be something special and high value to keep Daisy interested.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Smeagle:
When she follows me around it is called heel.
Oh, I know what heel is. I just didn't recognize it in your vid coz I thought that it was just a command 4 when you're walking your dog.
THANX

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:Originally posted by Smeagle:
When she follows me around it is called heel.
Oh, I know what heel is. I just didn't recognize it in your vid coz I thought that it was just a command 4 when you're walking your dog.
THANX
Oops, sorry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

To get into the nitty gritty, you wouldn't want your dog to heel for an entire walk - heel should involve the dog walking precisely at your side and looking up at you for command. I am happy for Daisy to walk on a loose lead on a walk, as long as she responds to "heel" and moves into the right position if we pass another dog etc. It would actually be really uncomfortable for a dog to heel for a long period of time as they would be craning their necks to look up at you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I just got a chance to watch your video tonight. That was impressive. It obvious that you have both worked really hard on the training.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeh, Cowboy was an obedience school drop-out... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts