Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonder what everone pays for Vet office visits? Just well visits and not with shots.

I knew my vet was high, but I started calling around and realized how expensive he is. Just for walking in the door he charges $69. I called a few others (one actually brand new) they are $51. The girls have to go in for there yearly check up, so I'm thinking of giving this new vet a try?

Just curious what the rate is around the world....

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just took the dogs in yesterday for their yearly update shots...here is a break down

Comprehensive Exam w/ Vaccines - $20.00 each
Bordetella - $16.00 each
DHLP-PV Vaccine - $23.10 each
Rabies - $11.00 each
Fecal Flotation - $15.50 each

So to answer your question I guess we pay $20 for a visit here in Crestview, FL

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
If we go to our vet for treatment he doesnt charge a consultation, just for treatment. If we go just for advice he charges 10 Euros for 15 mins. Fair enough.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My vet loves the Bagel, like it is most resonable, if it is just shots, I get out of there for S20/30, a little more if we do bloodwork and other old dog workup. Last time I went was because of a fatty lump on his belly which she verified was a natural old dog benign malady and not cancerous, she actually extracted a small bit from the Bagel and examined it under a microscope to assure me all was well. I think she was more concerned with me being concerned, about a 15 minute visit and she didn't charge me a cent. Bagel and I agree, she is a good vet. Now, I've known her since she was in grade school so I'm sure we get special treatment

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our vet charges around $50-60 for an office visit. Last year, all of Jersey's shots and a yearly checkup ran me about $200. Way too expensive. I've been feeling less than happy with their office in general though and I'm considering changing to a new office. I'm pretty sure most offices charge different office visit rates though depending on the nature of the visit. Like Rocky, the office I go to usually charges less if it's a routine visit and part of an annual checkup versus an urgent care type of thing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wow....

Our last vet visit (the exam only) was about $39. It's actually not bad as around here visits with the higher-priced vets can go upwards of $60...not counting shots!

The lowest one around here (rated #1 several years in a row!) is $20. Their office has $5 Rabies vaccines, too. :O

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
$50 here.... they charged us $25 once, and called it courtesy fee.... that was when Chloe was diagnosed with Canine papilloma virus....
They also said she will probably need surgery.... it cleared up by itself 2 weeks later!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Our vet charges $44 for an office visit, which is on the higher range around here, but not the highest, which runs around $52. The cheapest I've seen is about $35. Not enough of a difference for me to change because I really like our vet and she loves the babies.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We pay $23.00 for an office visit, just the visit, if there is anything else done, of course it's extra. If you have multiple dogs or cats he charges less if you bring them in all at once.
Has anyone looked into or gotten animal insurance? Oh, and our vet spends at least an hour or 45 mins. with us when we go in...it's cheaper than a human doc visit.

With the meds, they are spendy, but not near as much as the same med for myself....what's that all about?????

Cathy J
15 days and counting till casie arrives.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine charges $42 for a visit. With all of the shots, heartworm pill, stool sample and Frontline, I spend an average of $150 a month. It'll be nice when Charlee's shots are done until his 1 yr visit. Wish dogs could get jobs. LOL!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: HeyWifeMine charges $42 for a visit. With all of the shots, heartworm pill, stool sample and Frontline, I spend an average of $150 a month. It'll be nice when Charlee's shots are done until his 1 yr visit. Wish dogs could get jobs. LOL!
When I got Chloe, the vet charged us only $20 for the puppy examination, then added the different stuff (stool sample, vaccines..). The first visit came up to around $200. Then he only charged for the vaccines and for the puppy follow-ups ($15).
Now the yearly thing is about 230 (includes the heartworm pills).

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first vet we took Josie to could be having a half off free sale and be giving away balloons and hotdogs, and I wouldn't take her back there.

Maybe I'm privileged or financially irresponsible but I can't put a price on a vet that I trust and who treats me and my kid with respect. He's not making me a pizza. He's responsible for the health and well being of my most loyal friend. Not something I care to bargain shop for...

·
Registered
400 Posts
My new vet charges $34 for exams--but I believe they do not charge follow-up visits. I used to take Java to Banfield (the Petsmart affiliate), and felt like they were nickel-and-diming me. While a Vet practice is still a business, I feel it shouldn't FEEL like it. The love for animals can really be felt at my new vet and I really appreciate it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieIt's the medication (when needed) that's expensive!
Before paying for the meds at your vet's office, be sure to check one of the $4.00 places (Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, etc.) to see if the med is on their list. Here in Florida Publix Supermarket now offers the more common antibiotics free. Out of Maggie's six prescriptions, I get three at Target -- it saves me a lot of money. Other prescriptions are for canine use only and then there's the expensive compounded one ... My vet has no problems calling in a prescription or writing me one. Once you find out what is going to be prescribed, just give whichever store you want to use a call before you check out and ask if that prescription is on their $4 list -- that will save you a trip back to the vet in case it isn't.
My vet charges $30 for a follow-up visit -- I don't recall what the first visit costs. Then there are additional charges for everything else (injections, nails, etc.). Since we are at the vet almost every other week and we just go into the lab at the back to be seen (rather than into an exam room), I'm often not charged for the visit unless he has to end up doing a full exam. If she is getting a shot, I can usually slip in all my other questions while he is doing that. Maggie is so little now that she gets weighed on a baby scale so no need to do that in an exam room either.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nolan, I agree 150%; it's like my pediatrician...I love our vet and I loved the kid's doctor, they treated us with respect and cared about our kids like they were theirs or the dogs like they were theirs. In fact, our vet came over on his day off to help us through sending Chip over the Bridge. He cried with us, and hugged us and apologized for not being able to make Chipper better. I don't think that's unusual for him either, he does it with all his patients and their parents. I can't put a price on that either, he is priceless.

CathyJ
14 days till Casie comes :eek:)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the feed back. I was just interested what everyone pays and it is a big range.

I've been going to my vet for about 13years. I like him and he does care for the animals. But with prices at home going out the roof(electric, oil, gas. etc.)I'm starting to relook at what I pay. Plus I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I feel right now since no one is sick and all the girls need are there shots, what a better time to try out a new vet. I can see how they interact and if I don't like them, I go back to my old vet.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts