Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and going to see if you all will be able to help me out with my beagle.

I got Bentley when he was 8 weeks old. Now he is 7 months old. He has been a super good beagle. He's the only beagle that I've see who is very quiet (have heard him bay/bark 2 time total) and has never tried to run away from me.

He wore a collar till a couple months ago (took it off for a bath as he was peeing in his kennel and needed a few baths). I just finally put a collar back on him this Sunday. He acts like he is in trouble all the time now. Super timid, clingy, just acts completely different. Before the collar he would play with his toys nonstop, loved being outside (have never needed a leash, has never tried to run or bolt away from me).

I put the collar on so we could start going for walks. Always got alot of excercise in the house and back yard. He does very very good on the 3 walks that he has been on, but just acts really weird when we get back home and I take the leash off.

I took the collar off last night for the first time since Sunday. Within 5 minutes he was playing with all of his toys, etc. Seemed back to his normal self.

Did I mess up by not having a collar on him all the time from day 1? Any ideas for me to try to make him feel more comfortable in his collar?

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
We only have our two in/wear collars during walks,going car rides...... indoors they never wear collars.

I don't think you messed up your Beag is used to wearing a collar is all, try leaving it off indoors Bentley will get used to the routine and will know it's not punishment of any kind, when you place it on for walks etc...he may start getting excited seeing his collar and leash for walks and outings:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might try that for a while. See if it changes his mentality.

Any opinions of the underground fence? I have one installed at my place from my last beagle. It worked great then.

Bentley has a complete different attitude than my last beagle. Not sure if I want to use it or not. Have to work out this collar situation first, and go from there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Better to be safe then sorry! My beagle was great untils he reached 9 months, then she no longer stayed with me or in the yard....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, I realize the better safe than sorry route. I've been super surprised how well he has done staying home.

I took his collar off at lunch time. We'll see if he's in a chipper mood when I get off work. I'm prolly to worried about how he's acting, but he's just so different than his normal self when he has a collar on. Confusing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts