Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got a 3-year-old male beagle I rescued when he was around 7 months. We've done puppy obedience training, and this fall we are working with a dog trainer to work on ongoing issues with leash walking and reactivity to other dogs (very friendly, but howls at dogs relentlessly when we are on walks, trying to get to them to say hi). Despite at least an hour of walking a day, having multiple game-based training sessions a day, and having lots of daily time playing in his big backyard with his labrador brother, HE IS STILL SO HIGH-ENGERY AND HYPER! I heard beagles were supposed to calm down after 2 years old, and this just has not been the case. He gets a few minutes of quiet time in a crate when he gets too worked up, because he doesn't know how to calm himself down. Has anyone else had a beagle this old who still was so high energy, and if so, did they ever calm down?
Sincerely,
exhausted beagle mom

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Welcome.. ive had my dog from 8weeks and shes now 8.8 years old. Its the general consensus that beagles tend to calm down around 3 years old.. that doesnt mean they lose their energy. My dog is still not good on a leash.. she wants to sniff everything and drag me down the street. The only leash attachment that worked in a calm walk for my dog is called the
"Perfect Pace".. it looks similar to the type in petstores but its not..this is safer and doesnt pull the head to the side plus it has a safety connection to the collar. You can find it on www.boldlead.com or Amazon. Glad you're using a clicker which is really helpful and you can find great YouTube videos on line on how to use one. Talk to your dog a lot so it knows your commands. I also taught hand signals. Keep a leash on your dog in the house..they think they're under control . Its stressful no doubt but it will get better. Here's a picture of Cassie..the chill beagle...lol

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Xerxes is four now and still full of energy. We adopted him around 2.5, 3 years old. He's still a bit of a bonehead, and also bays at other dogs (which we've worked on, and FINALLY he seems to be getting it, so maybe it is an age thing).

Reactions: Mo-D_mom

·
Super Moderator
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Is he getting sniff time on the walks? My girl is almost 8. When she was young I did walk her for several miles. She would come home ready to sleep. It almost sounds like yours is hyped up too much. Work on the howling on the walks don't allow that. Have the treats and teach watch me. Cross the street and get the attention on you and off the other dogs. That kind of stuff just hypes the dog up more. Keep up with the rest time in the crate. He will learn to quiet himself down. Is it in a quiet part of the house? Hang in there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts