Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I guess the honeymoon is over...

We've been fostering Bailey for 6 months, and just decided to adopt him. When we first started fostering him, he got scared and fear-peed easily. He also had house breaking issues.

I work from home. For the first 5 months, I kept him crated while I worked, and let him out the rest of the time, when I could pay attention to him. This, in addition to regular walks and/or yard bathroom breaks, worked really well. At this point, he hasn't had an accident in the house in over a month. And his fear issues have gotten better, and he piddles a lot less from getting scared now. About a week ago, I started giving him access to the upstairs hall and my office during the day, while I worked. No accidents until today. Here's what happened...

I gave him a large rawhide bone to chew on for a while, but planned to take it away from him when he got to a certain point, so he wouldn't eat too much. I planned to do a trade with him for a meaty treat, which works well usually, But this time, he was chewing right at my feet, so I thought I'd just swiftly grab it. Well, I missed. He started walking towards his crate with it. I beat him to the crate and closed the door, right as he was trying to get in. He yelped, dropped the rawhide, and slinked away. I felt bad, so I still gave him his soft treat, and told him he was a good boy, since he didn't nervously pee. So, I went back to my desk, thinking all was well. Maybe 60 seconds later, I hear him peeing on the floor right behind me at the entrance to the office. And he was really going. It's the kind of peeing I've seen him do sometimes when he really has to go. No leg lifting, just standing and peeing. I immediately went over to him a scolded him, which just made him pee harder. So I quickly grabbed him and put him outside in the yard. Dribbled all down the steps in the process. Lovely. I want back in and cleaned up what looked like a 1/2 gallon of pee, then I went back outside to get him. He was cowering at the other end of the yard, as if I had beaten him with a stick. Of course, this has always been his usual reaction to even the lightest of scolds, poor thing. He immediately ran into his kennel, and I've locked him in for a while.

I can't help but think that the peeing had something to do with me taking his rawhide from him. So, I'm blaming myself. Should I have handled it better? He also peed right after I took him outside 30 minutes prior. Admitting, he didn't get a walk for the past few days, because I've been sick as a dog! Just yard trips. And I notice that he pees a lot more on walks than in the yard. Maybe it was just a combination of these factors. What do you all think?

I'm most likely going to go back to crating him while I work for a while. I was even thinking of giving him the hallway with my other beagle at night, instead of kenneling him, but now I think he'll still be in his kennel at night, too. Have any of you had incidents like this? And how did you handle it? I hate when he does this upstairs, because when I try to interrupt him to take him outside to finish, he just gets scared, and pees all the way down the steps and to the door, as I'm pulling him. Ugh!

·
Registered
421 Posts
sophie has been guilty of revenge peeing a time or two, i just treat it the same way i would if it was an accident.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Buzz scared pees, excited pees, play pees, I've just eaten pees, I can't hold it anymore pees, I ate salty things and drank too much pees, I'm sleeping too deeply pees, and... am I missing any?! I'm sure there are more - although I don't think we've had any revenge pees - yet! We've learned to just not get too worked up about it and try to deal with it one step at a time by trying not to scare him, downplaying when we come home, making sure he goes out immediately after eating, right before bed, and whenever else seems to be a good time to get a quick squirt out of him OUTSIDE. Just in the last week or so he has started to (we think) signal that he needs to go out, too - which is a huge step. And when he does pee we just clean it up, brush ourselves off and move forward!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like he was scared. Let his crate be a place where he feels safe, not a punishment. We dont give our hounds raw-hides at all, since a friends dog choked on one. No dog lkes to have a treat taken away, so maybe just give him smaller treats. Probably best not to scold when he pees like that, he didnt know what he had done wrong to get his treat taken off him and hurt by the crate. It will work out in time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts