Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seven days and hopefully VAN aka Casie will be in SD. They are supposed to bring him home from a dog show in Rochester, MN next weekend. I am excited, nervous, scared, worried, happy, anxious...but all of that will calm down once I know they are on their way back to SD.

Now, I've written the owner/breeder and asked all the important health, feeding, training questions, so I think I am ready there.
My next questions for the experts here is, how would you introduce my Cobi (7 yrs) to Casie (13 months). We thought I would take Cobi and my husband would pick up Casie or the other way around, it doesn't matter....and meet at the park in a quiet corner, to meet and sniff. What do you think, or are there better ideas?
My next question has to do with sleeping, Cobi sleeps with us in bed...all 48 of his little body....Casie has slept in a crate with one other pup from his litter for a year. I can't afford two kennels, one up and one down in our house, and I can't carry one up and down the stairs. So we've thought about his own pillow, and then moving him to the bed if he wants. We're used to having to beagles in bed with us, so that's not our problem. We just want them to sleep. Casie is housebroke, but not at our house, and we need to know if he has to go out in the middle of the night, so leaving him downstairs is out of the question. Ideas?

I know I'll have lots of questions, comments and hopefully pics all week, so I'll just warn you.

More Later,
Cathy J
Casie's and Cobi's mom

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Firstly - I'm so excited for you and I'm sure that this next week is going to drag out dreadfully slowly for you... but fingers and paws crossed it all works out as it should and Casie is home with you before you know it!

I do think that having Cobi meet Casie on neutral territory such as a local park is the way to go - and then once they have met each other and sniffed and what-not, then just walk them home together like it is no big deal. We did that when we introduced Popcorn to Booker and Moose, and it worked perfectly.

I think you probably will need to play it by ear on the sleeping end of things - maybe try it first off as you suggest with Casie upstairs with you since it sounds like that is going to be the most convenient... and then reconsider your options if he really can't sleep out of his crate? I know Popcorn wanted to sleep with us right from the beginning!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG! We're having a baby! Yes a baby beagle, VAN aka Casie (KC) is really coming to SD....I just got a message from the owner/breeder and she says it's a GO! I haven't felt that happy since the doc's told me they were going to deliver my second son...YIPEE! Okay, now I have to breathe, calm down, and keep my fingers crossed. I hope I can post his pic and Cobi's so you'll know who I am talking about....OMG! Just when you are ready to give up, everything goes right.

Cathy J
cobis and casie's mom.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
YAY!!! So glad you will be getting your new baby soon.

Duke and Violet met at the park near the shelter we got Vi from. Then they shared a 4 hour car ride home together, complete with a stop for a shared burger for them. LOL Once we got home, they acted like they had known each other forever and we were very lucky that Vi fit into the family so well.

As for sleeping, we played it by ear. Duke sleeps with us, though he does get up and down through the night. We put Violet in our bed to let her know it was ok and that's where she's been ever since when it's night-night time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am very excited. Today I get to go shopping for a new kennel and collar, and tags, and leash and....well you get the idea.
Casie is a 15, which I didn't know, but that's okay, Cobi out weighs him by at least 10 lbs....Casie I guess is a very slight little guy. He should be here about 5:00 or later on Sunday, so don't know how our park trip will work. We'll see what happens.
I hope to be able to post pics next week of the two together....if the scanner will cooperate.

Have a great weekend, all.

Cathy

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a call from Van's mommy, she is in the car going to Rochester. We will pick up Van tomorrow, and intro the bro's tomorrow afternoon. I am excited and very nervous. Of course, like most new moms, I have all kinds of advice from so-called friends, BUT the only real advice that counts to me right now, is that which comes from my friends here. So if you have any come one down! I could use it.

Cathy J
Van aka Casie and cobismom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Is Casie neutered? I think it will make an easier meeting between the boys if he is.
Anyhow, neutral grounds, control over both, and stay calm!!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am excited for you. My only advice is to try not to be too stressed. The dogs will pick up on your feelings. Just have a good time and introduce them slowly. I am sure everything will work out oK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts