Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to Consumer Reports, and the new ratings are out for vacuums. Here's a link to an article:
Vacuum cleaner article

The three top rated vacuums were:

Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 35922 ($300)
Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 U8311-900-250 ($250)
Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 ($150)

I need a new vacuum, but can't afford the price of a high end cleaner.....I LOVE knowing there are GREAT options in the medium range. I'm looking at the Eureka today......does anybody here own that particular model?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Deb,

I used Consumer Reports when buying a new vacuum last year, and I chose the Kenmore Progressive. In my opinion, it's great. :thumbup: I love the beltless progressive drive since I was forever catching things and burning up belts. This vacuum does great on pet hair, you know I have a houseful, and is relatively quiet.

Having said all that, if Consumer reports says the Eureka is good, I wouldn't worry about it's not doing the job.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I too bought a Kenmore Progressive canister, it is great, powerful. It is worth the money for the long run. If you change the bag often and clean the belt, filter, it will last you a long long time.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I have stopped using vaccum cleaners on carpets a long time ago. I now use carpet rakes. They are the best for dog hair! Just rake!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Fortunately we only have rugs and a small carpet in the lounge. No hoover has ever coped with dog hairs. We cant afford the 'good' ones.
What is a carpet rake?

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
A carpet rake lookes like a garden rake but the teeth are made of flexible plastic. You can get them at any carpet cleaning company and on occasion in pet stores.
If all you have are small rugs, then the brush will do the same thing. Yes, like in the older days. On the plus side, brushing or raking a carpet keeps them looking new for ever...

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in LOVE! :freak:

Eureka claims their Boss is 60% more effective than Dyson; Consumer Reports gave it a high rating, and so did Good Housekeeping.....so I invested my $160(with shipping) and crossed my fingers.

It has cleaned dog hair from hidden places with ease. Also cleaned my furniture VERY WELL (kinda embarrassing how bad it was!)

Get one if you're on a budget, but LOVE clean, clean, clean......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have stopped using vaccum cleaners on carpets a long time ago. I now use carpet rakes. They are the best for dog hair! Just rake!

I agree sometimes result of vacuum cleaner concern with carpet cleaning are not favorable,hence I would like to prefer professional carpet cleaners..:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been rocking a Dyson Animal that I bought in 2008 after I got home from deployment. Even though they are pricey, it has been rock solid since I picked it up. The only thing I have ever had to do is buy new filters once, and that was actually my fault. They are washable, but it turns out putting them in the dryer is a bad idea (long story). So, if you are willing to spend a little more, a Dyson is awesome at sucking up pet hair and damned near everything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would also consider just hiring a cleaning company for the job once the puppy stops peeing on the carpets and such. As for the grooming, there are actually plenty of brushes that could help with the grooming of the pup. I got mine for about 10 quid and honestly couldn't be happier. I'm just brushing the dog in the morning during his walk and once before we get home from the late walk and that's it. There aren't any problems with the cleaning whatsoever. As for the cleaning, I live in Oxford and the only cleaning company in Oxford which gave me guarantees that the cleaning would remove all the smell is this one. They really delivered in terms of quality and I didn't even have to pay that much. I believe that the only rooms where my puppy had done anything were the the living room and one of the bedrooms and they vacuum cleaned them professionally for 70 pounds or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts